Saturday, July 21, 2018

Flooring complete.

Matt came up to give me a hand today.  We were originally hoping to complete the flooring and make a serious dent in the paneling.  Because of timing, we started with staining the paneling, since it took an hour to dry.  The stain was awful.  It was a lot more opaque that it was supposed to be.  It is expensive too, almost 10 bucks a can.  And it doesn't come even remotely close to the claimed 275 square feet.


We were applying it with rollers which isn't recommended, but there is no way I am going to manually stain 16 sheets of paneling.  I will likely end up just painting it.  Oh well.

The first panel was especially bad.  It was blotchy, and it was clear that it was too thick. 


The second was better, but still not great.  We actively tried to keep it as thin as possible. 


They didn't get better when they dried either.


We then got to work on the floor.  The last few pieces were more difficult than expected.  A ton of little cutouts in the boards.






This had fail written all over it.  I don't have a hole saw, so I cut it with the jig saw.


The floor is at long last complete though.


After finishing the floor, we grilled out.  Had some nice rib steak.  Unfortunately that is the last of my steaks; I have a couple pounds of ground and the heart left.  I might have to come down and restock.  At this point I am guessing I owe my parents a cow anyways.


I tried using onion soup mix as a rub.  It worked fairly well.  A touch on the salty side, but the flavor was good, without overpowering the meat.


As I was sitting taking a break, I noticed that the screen on one of the doors was falling out.  Anderson quality.


After Matt left, I did a lot of cleanup.  Most importantly is I got all the paneling inside.


Even though it is far too premature, here is a walkthrough of the place and how I plan to lay it out.  Unfortunately blogger has a size limit, so I really had to compress the video a lot and drop it to 720p instead of 1080p, but it still gives you the plan.  Note - if the video doesn't work, try again the following day.  Sometimes it takes a day or two for them to work right.  Dunno why.


It is supposed to wet and rainy for the the bulk of the next week, so the paneling will have to wait,  I will probably start on the ceiling insulation.  The floor though is another item checked off the checklist.
  1. Fix ruts in driveway.
  2. Put lights on the plow.
  3. Get the oil changed in the tractor.
  4. Get the tire chains installed and a weight installed on the back.
  5. Get the plastic installed
  6. Get the truck oil undercoated.
  7. Fix leaky underbelly.
  8. Get skirting installed.
  9. Find a way to run power that won't be damaged by snow/plow/snowblower.
  10. Find a way to prevent the snow pushing on the shed.
  11. Finish clearing off the slab.
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Install wall insulation.
  14. *Install flooring.  *12
  15. Install light fixtures.
  16. Install ceiling and attic insulation. *19
  17. *Install paneling  *13, 14
  18. *Install interior wall *14
  19. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *17, 18
  20. *Install final flooring (carpet/whatever).  *18, 19
  21. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

No comments:

Post a Comment