Sunday, July 29, 2018

Dismal failure, but a nice day.

I started the day off pretty well.  It was a really nice day, warm but not oppressively hot.  I got a bit of a late start from sleeping in (you may have noticed that yesterday's post was posted at 4AM...  Oops).

I started off getting the last ceiling joist installed.  I have no idea why I didn't install it when I did the other ones.  First though, I had to clean the mouse nest out of there.


I sprayed the whole area down with pepper spray and got it actually installed.


One of the other things I actually wanted to do prior to winter and snow load was put a brace in at the joint for the ridge board.  That is now done.


I then spent a while trying to figure out how to actually install the insulation in the ceiling.  I tried a couple of different methods, most of which ended with the insulation on the floor and me being covered.  Good thing I had a mask on, it isn't nice stuff.  This was one of the attempts.  It just ended up dragging the board around. 


This was a common sight today.  The insulation falling into a pile.


After deciding I either need a second pair of hands or a brace to hold up the other end, I decided to move on to paneling.  That was even more failure.  For starters, I tossed my old plywood blade, so I had to make a trip to Home Depot to get another one.  I then spent over an hour trying to the blade changed.  I tried three different saws.  Turns out my nicest saw is a different size.


It is only 6.5".  Standard blades are 7.25"


I then tried the saw I had been using, but the bolt was rusted in.  After rounding that, I tried the worm drive saw.  The bolt on that is no long a hexagon either.  Three saws, and no way to cut plywood with them.  Grrrr.


After some handle extensions and PB Blaster, I finally got the blade changed on the one I had been using that had rusted up.  Unfortunately it involved a lot of beating, and I think I bent the arbor on it while doing so, it ran noticeably more wobbly.


After that, I got the paneling all set up.  I decided to cut multiple sheets at once, it should help with the chipping and is more efficient. 


I also forgot why I got that saw in the first place: if the blade isn't thick enough, the saw won't hold it.  The blade will get stuck.  This compounded on the fact that I bent the arbor meant that cut took over a half hour to make.  Go an inch, back off, let it spin back up, go another inch, back off, etc.  The blade kept slipping, and you can see that it burned the wood a fair bit too.  I didn't have this problem with the ripping blade on it since the blade was thicker, and the carbide tips were enough wider than the blade (at least before my hammering on it today) that even with the little bit of wobble, the blade would spin freely in the cut.  That isn't true with a plywood blade.


I did dry fit one of the panels.  They fit nice.


Home Depot does sell blades for the nice saw, so I think I might just get some blades for that and use it.  Alternatively, I could swap the bolt out on the worm drive saw if I can get the existing one out, and keep that one running.  Either way toss the third. 

No comments:

Post a Comment