Saturday, September 23, 2017

Windows going slowly.

I went up to look at a plow truck on Craigslist today.  I will need something come winter, and it was cheap.  It unfortunately turned out to be a waste of a couple hours.  The truck hadn't moved in what looked like a very long time, and would need significant work just to move.  The plow was a little chewed up, but still have plenty of life left.  The frame was in decent shape, it would have made an excellent project truck, but I don't need another project at the moment.
It needed tires.  With the front end like this, it was hard to tell how the front end was handling the added weight of the plow.


The plow was decent.  Needed a paint job, and the cutting edge was a little chewed up, but still workable.  The plow was up, so at the least the hydraulics still held pressure.


It had a lot of rot in the bed.  I crawled underneath and the floor panels were rotted out too, but the normal places trucks rot were fine, there was little to no rust on the rockers, the cab corners were still solid.


I would have needed to look at the engine, there was enough fluid spilled around under the hood to make me nervous.


Unfortunately at that point the battery in my camera quit since I haven't charged it since the eclipse.  I will get more and better pictures tomorrow.

I got everything cut out.  There is a lot more light in there now.  


While I was cutting, I forgot that the air compressor was outside underneath one of the windows.  I have now had a second hose fatality...  Hopefully I don't have any more, since I am on my last hose.


The first window is installed.  I apparently didn't do a good enough job with the reciprocating saw since I had to go back with a chisel and clean a little more siding out of the way.  I will check for the siding issues before I install any screws on the next window.  I also found out that the instructions for installing the windows are even more worthless than the instructions for the door.  Thankfully I just verified a couple of things with Dad and have seen it done before.  Looking back at it, I do think the new installation style of windows are easier to deal with, I didn't particularly care too much when I was selecting windows.


I am running low on shims, I hope I have enough.


I once again didn't get as much done as I wanted, so no movement on the checklist.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a roaster, but I still better get the windows done.  Once that is done I have a decision to make.  I still have the aluminum for the rodent barrier, but I also recently found the polyethylene type I was originally looking for.  I am considering ordering some of that since it is designed and made for the underbelly of a mobile home.  It will insulate better, will keep rodents out, and I will be able to lift the roll.

4 comments:

  1. who has the plastic? It will definitely be lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it online at a mobile home parts store.
      http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=570113&Store_Code=MHPS&gdffi=5a91c85c988a43159be79f03f721bc24&gdfms=4D66A7B0363F4A048A673B0B8E1838C5&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6PDO9bK71gIVSVcNCh0qygTMEAQYASABEgJXPfD_BwE

      Delete
  2. another hose fatality . . . so now it's kill hoses instead of nailing fingers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weeks flavor, I haven't had anyone else's hands up there to nail recently.

      Delete