Saturday, September 9, 2017

Couple days of updates. More water damage than expected.

I didn't post an update Thursday since all I did was a noob mistake.  I went and ran the wire, installed the box for the living room, and then realized that the stud I fastened the wires to was slated for removal when I install the windows.  Derp.

Friday was spent running around.  I did manage to get a hold of a ladder.  It is a small one but should suffice.  It is much faster and easier than the step ladder. 

I also picked up the roofing.  Unfortunately the nubs at the Home Depot Online distribution center can't count, so I am a roofing panel short.  The last one is on order and should be here early to mid next week.  I hope to but probably won't complete the roofing this weekend though.

I spent a good chunk of the morning today trying to figure out how to pull the wall square.  My first attempt (which didn't do anything)

I then tried lengthening the straps to reduce the downward angle.  That didn't work either.  I bent the piss out of the ratchet lock and broke it.  Good to know I am strong enough to break them, and that the ratcheting mechanism will give up the ghost before the strap itself snaps.

The strap was still holding after I broke it (it just is no longer adjustable) so I then tried dragging it with the lawn mower instead of the ratchet.  It pulled the strap tight enough to play like a guitar string, enough so that the strap is crushing a 2x4 block.

But this is as close as it would get.  This would easily make it the least square wall, and if I can detect the misalignment with my 2 foot level, it is not good.


I then went and did a thorough damage report on the roof.  the damage was worse than initially thought.  The only bright spot is that the plywood itself seemed to be ok, it wasn't de-laminating or coming apart, but it is warped bad.  Real bad.  so I isntalled a few 2x4's to help level it back out.  It was either that or completely tear the tar paper off and redo the entire roof sheating... (which would actually be the proper way to fix it.)  I got most of them to line back up with a bit of coaxing.


This is what the profile of the slab side looks like now.  Still a little unruly, but good enough for roofing.


The other half of the slab side took a little more force.  And a lot of nails.  It will never bow again.


Then I got to the other side.  Interestingly this side was worse even though this side the tar paper stayed on.  One of the pieces was so bad I decided to replace it since I had extra plywood.  When I peeled back the tar paper, I was met with a surprise.  A very large amount of mold on the wood.  It is kind of hard to see in the picture, but if you blow it up, you can see the fuzz.


Just for reference, there is mildew and stuff on the inside now as well.


After seeing the mold, I decided to replace an extra foot of the plywood.  Given how non-flat the roof was, it was kind of a waste of time setting up the saw to only cut 3/8" deep so it would cut only the plywood and not the rafters underneath.  This is what the first pass came out like.  In one spot, it didn't even touch the plywood.


I did manage to get it out, but it was a bigger pain than it should have been.  I did it without any damage at all to the rest of the structure though.


The new piece is installed.


I noticed when I was installing it that I apparently forgot to nail the other board next to it.  That has been remedied.


I also put in a brace to get rid of the misalignment.


And all done.


I have one more brace to put in tomorrow to finish up the roof repairs.  I am not going to lie, the complete and utter failure of the tar paper is a bit surprising.  I lost better than half a clear weekend for it too which is really annoying.  Everything I see online says this should not have happened.  I also believe that on the one part that I replaced the tar paper caused the mold, since the water was trapped underneath the tar paper.  I am contemplating ripping the tar paper off, you can see on the pieces next to it that they are still damp, even after a full day of sunshine.  I can't get the roof on it fast enough, that is for sure.

I did get to Home Depot and picked up a proper drip edge, the rest of the siding, and a new plywood blade to cut the roofing with.  I picked up these, though I haven't decided yet if I need to use them.  For metal, they are superfluous.  For polycarbonate, I am not sure.  Metal just bends a little when installing the screws.  The screws are sealed, and you go on your way.  Polycarbonate is not like that though, it doesn't bend, it breaks. I picked up enough to do the panels that I have.  They do also provide a seal so that water can't get back up under the panel, though the drip edge should take care of that.


Since today was almost all repair work, no movement on the checklist.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get the siding complete.  I might have to just live with it being slightly off center.

No comments:

Post a Comment