Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Door installed.

Today was actually dry, so I managed to finish installing the door.




I may have gotten a little overzealous with the foam.




On the one side that I noted didn't mate well, the foam actually pushed through.  At least I know it is sealed.


The other side not so much.  I briefly debated running a bead of silicon on it to make sure it doesn't leak down inside, but there is a lot of foam on the inside.


The silicone that the instructions said to put on the bottom was totally worthless.  I could see light and air going through, so I added more.  A lot more.  I had to tack the siding in temporarily.


I also put a small bead on top of the door, though it shouldn't be necessary.


Unfortunately it looks like I thumped the gasket when I was running screws in and out multiple times yesterday.


The inside view.  It is really really dark inside now.


I tied the door shut again.  The door still works fairly nicely, despite not sitting perfectly flat in the frame.


I ended up using a lot more sealant than expected.  I think most of that is probably my fault.  I put too much foam in the door, and the silicone that I put on yesterday appears to have been a waste, but I still went through a large can of foam, and almost two tubes of caulk.  That is a lot for one door.


I am still not entirely convinced that I installed everything correctly, but at the very least, it installed well enough to make it for a few years until I can do it right.  Another lesson learned: make sure all the plastic water shielding is gone before you install the door.  It was a constant pain getting in the way of the foam.

The door was the first step of installing the windows and doors, so no movement on the checklist.  I have a bunch of time off coming up, so hopefully I can at least get the exterior buttoned up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment