Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The storms were very aggressive today

Didn't get too much done today, I was doing a damage report.  I didn't even make it up to the property before I had to stop and help some guys move a tree out of the road.  They had most of it done before I got there.


The water pooled up on the carport pretty bad, it came down faster than it could run off.


Nothing made it through without getting wet, even in the middle of the carport, the wind was blowing it literally sideways.  Hopefully nothing gets too damaged from it.




The house didn't make it through unscathed either.  This is what I came up to.  The bottom layer of tar paper was thankfully not torn completely off, but I am not sure it would have remained that way if I had waited any longer.  Thankfully I got up during a slight break.  Another round whipped through while I was up there.  The could very well have completely torn it off.


Thankfully the other side seemed to fare better.  A couple of staples tore through, but that was it.


I may have gotten drenched doing it, but I got all put back together, though the tar paper is swiss cheese now from being stapled down and ripped up so many times.  I will have to look at the plywood.  That spare plywood might come in hand after all, at least a couple chunks look like they have warped so bad from the water that they need to be replaced.  While I was up there, the second wave came through.  We got over an inch of rain in a matter of minutes.  Thankfully it was moving fast (thus the high winds) and didn't last long.  It was still enough to turn my whole back yard into a creek though.


After all the damage control was done, I did get a tiny bit of wiring done.  I got the speaker wires (surround sound for the win!) run.  It took all the speaker wire that I had though.  I had a leftover spool from uncle a long time ago that thankfully I never tossed.  After that another wave was on its way and it got really dark, so I took off despite not being that late.


No real movement on the check list.  Roofing is definitely the highest priority at the moment, since mind pretty much just took a major wallop.  The stuff is on order, hopefully it comes in soon.  I also ordered the heat pump.  With that decision finalized, I can hopefully get it framed in when I do the windows.

  1. Square up the corners
  2. Attach ceiling beams
  3. Secure rafters and beams with hurricane ties
  4. Attach the subflooring to the trailer frame.
  5. Sheathe the roof
  6. Install tar paper to make the roof watertight.
  7. *Install window framing.   *10
  8. Tyvek wrap.
  9. Install roof.
  10. Install siding.  This includes all flashing.
  11. *Install attic vent and AAV (AAV = air access valve for the plumbing). *10
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Run the rough electric.
  14. Install rodent barrier.
  15. *Install insulation.  *10
  16. *Install flooring.  *15
  17. *Install ceiling and attic insulation. *13
  18. *Install light fixtures.  *17
  19. *Install paneling  *13, 15
  20. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *19
  21. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).  *16, 19
  22. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

2 comments:

  1. just wait for the remains of Irma to get there. hope everything is fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i might have to replace a couple pieces of the plywood on the roof, but that should be it.
      thankfully irma won't get here, the jet stream is protecting us (at least at the moment).

      Delete