Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I feel like a dope.

I went up to the property during lunch today with Barry, and we were poking around in my electric box on the panel, and it turns out that when I went up and tried to fix the outlets on the panel back in the spring, I actually wired everything correctly. After clearing the mice out of the box (again) I was showing Barry what I did, and it turns out the whole time that the only issue I had was that I never reset the GFCI on the outlets themselves.  It is an abnormally deep reset button (I do remember trying it) but apparently I never reset it properly.  So I went out and bought a generator, and have been feeding it all summer because I am a noob.  To make sure the outlets themselves still worked fine, I used it tonight to cut the siding for the air conditioner repair.  Worked great.  Doh!  I went out and bought a beefy extension cord to run up to the slab.


We also put the heat pump in.  The box held, it slid right in.


I went up after work and sealed it in.  I had to "modify" the foam can to make it spray again.  It was only the nozzle that clogged up.  They say it is only a single use per can, but I squeaked another one out of it.


I also got the new piece of T1-11 installed.


It is now foamed in.




I also stopped at Home Depot and picked up the rest of the boxes I need (except I am missing a dual ganged box), but I forgot the stacked staples.  I might stop in tomorrow to get them on my lunch break or something, so I can use them tomorrow.

I also brought home some homework: making pig tails.  While not required by code, most people seem to think they are a very good idea.  It truly parallelizes the circuits.  If an outlet burns out, there is no chance that it will take out the rest of the outlets on the circuit.  I am not sure I buy that (the clamps on an outlet failing are one of the least common failure modes of an outlet), but for a couple of the boxes, I need to do it because I have one input going to multiple places, so I figured I might as well.  Basically I just need to cut up and strip a bunch of 6" pieces.

When I finish with the silicone tomorrow it will cross off an item on the checklist, but until then, no movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment