Saturday, September 16, 2017

Roofing is really close.

Matt came up today, so I put him up on the roof.  It was exceptionally hot and humid today, it was only supposed to hit 76-78 in Keene, but it got up over 80 in Sullivan, so it was much hotter than it was supposed to be, which made life miserable for both Matt and I.

The roof is mostly complete.  Matt was up screwing the panels in and I was keeping him stocked with materials.  My knee didn't like it, but too bad.  Matt's knees took more beating than mine did.  Surprisingly, the battery in my drill held up, did the entire roof, and I have been using it for the last month or so as well.  Bosch may not be the most powerful drill in its class, but it has plenty of power and the batteries last forever.


It turns out that when they say 24" coverage they mean only if you don't actually screw the two panels together.  I didn't up on the shed, but that is heavier metal roofing with literally twice the pitch.  This is lightweight plastic, more likely to get snagged by wind.  So Matt ended up doubling the overlap, which led to me not having enough panels.  Irritatingly one of the panels got chewed on by a mouse.  He is no longer among the living since he wasn't smart enough to hastily vacate when I opened the box.  You can also see the nice drip edge I installed too.


At the current moment, since I am a couple panels short, I put up a tarp.  It looks like Jose is making a beeline for me though, and if it hits in MA like it is currently predicted to, I will get a ton of rain.


Matt's bungee train.


It doesn't look much different inside.  It is very dark.  The panels block UV rays, but are otherwise mostly transparent.


I will have to figure something out for the ends.  I wasn't planning on using any fascia boards, but I think they might look nice and will nicely seal the edges.



As you might imagine, the slab is a total disaster zone.


We had to make a Home Depot trip today, so I made sure I got more than I needed.  I can return the stuff I don't use.


With Jose coming, I am not sure I like the tarp idea.  Unfortunately the roof panel isn't an item that is normally stocked in any store within 50 miles.  I did notice when I went to order more panels though that the internet claims that Home Depot has 19 of the 12' panels in stock.  I could buy a couple of those and finish up the roof.  It is more expensive, but will hold up to Jose better than a tarp.  That said, I don't recall seeing those there when I was there today.  I might have to stop in and ask.

No updates on the checklist, since the roofing isn't finished.  Thanks Matt for all your hard work and sweat today.  I hope you didn't end up dehydrated like I did.  I drank almost a gallon when I got home.

1 comment: