Sunday, September 10, 2017

At least some progress to cap an otherwise miserable weekend.

Today didn't go as planned.  I got the last roof support in and when I hopped off the ladder, found out that the 2x6 that I was using to support was not actually on the next joist over.  Ow.


I lost a couple of hours going home and cleaning it and putting a bandage on it, as well as resting it to ease the misery.  Though the shin got more damage, I actually rather that than the right knee, since the knee is heavily used when going up and down ladders as much as I do.  Grrrr.

I tried a different strategy in addition to the lawn tractor which was not enough.  With the walls not square, one diagonal is longer than the other, so I took the longer diagonal and tried to pull it in.  It didn't work either.


Thus I built Ramrod the Pusher (R).  I used an old 2x6x10 and a scrap piece of 2x6.




It was just barely long enough.  My truck didn't actually touch.


At first I got excited, since I went and checked the level and it came back perfect.


Then I looked under the trailer, and realized that Ramrod the Pusher actually lifted the whole front end of my house.  The jack stands are leaning, and the front wheels were off the ground.  4L worked great, I barely even noticed when Ramrod started lifting.


At that point I just said screw it.  If Ramrod the Pusher (along with the diagonal strap and the lawn mower strap) wasn't sufficient to push the wall square, it was never going to be square.  Just as a reminder, all the straps were so taught that they were literally cutting the wood they were on.


I think I will start a section in the spreadsheet called lessons learned and add something about squaring the walls individually is a bad idea.

I did manage to get the wall completely sided though.  I still have the one last sheet for the little pieces on the short walls.  I realized today though that if I am going to put insulation in those little sections, I need to do it before the siding goes up since they aren't accessible from the inside.  The walls are rock solid now.


The wall isn't square, and that is rather evident by the fact I had to keep changing the sheet height.


Ramrod the Pusher dented my bedliner, but thankfully didn't puncture it.  I didn't think about the bedliner until it was too late.


I have a bunch of stuff up there to keep progressing.  I got some mold and mildew spray, some foam so I can install the doors and windows, a new circular saw blade to cut the plastic (my old one smoked the last time I used it).  Definitely enough to keep me going for a while.


I had originally hoped to complete the siding in its entirety today, but the injury made sure that didn't happen.  I also wanted to rip the tar paper off.  It is doing more harm than good to be honest, and I have considered just putting a layer of my house wrap down.  I have plenty of it left, and the roll is 9 feet tall, it would cover the entire roof in one sheet.  Unlike the tar paper, I know it is waterproof too.  Between the tar paper repairs yesterday and the injury today, not a good weekend.

No movement on the checklist, though the siding is really really close to being done.
  1. Square up the corners
  2. Attach ceiling beams
  3. Secure rafters and beams with hurricane ties
  4. Attach the subflooring to the trailer frame.
  5. Sheathe the roof
  6. Install tar paper to make the roof watertight.
  7. *Install window framing.   *10
  8. Tyvek wrap.
  9. Install roof.  Including the drip edge.
  10. Install siding.
  11. *Install attic vent and AAV (AAV = air access valve for the plumbing). *10
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Run the rough electric.
  14. Install rodent barrier.
  15. *Install insulation.  *10
  16. *Install flooring.  *15
  17. *Install ceiling and attic insulation. *13
  18. *Install light fixtures.  *17
  19. *Install paneling  *13, 15
  20. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *19
  21. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).  *16, 19
  22. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

1 comment:

  1. YES- the house wrap can replace the tar paper! It's not as sound deadening, but where you are, that won't be an issue.

    ReplyDelete