Monday, October 15, 2018

Today went well.

As is the way this season, it was pretty awful up there today.  It was in the 30s and rain.  All day.  Not off and on like the radar and weather report said.  It was all day.  It was just harder rain at times.  So naturally on the way in I got a message saying they would be there at 10AM to drill the well.  So I went up after my morning meetings and cleared the slab off.  basically just moved the table, and the table saw inside.  Then took the mower and dozer blade and just pushed the crap off.  So much for that new tarp from yesterday...  I already had to disassemble it and put everything inside.


I was actually surprised that they had no problems at all with the driveway, or the yard.


Once everything I had soaked through, I decided to watch from inside.


I was surprised that the truck was still there after work.  The containment pit is pretty close to full, and it is kind of nasty.


The ruts run deep.  Oh well.  I needed to put a drainage system anyways.


Mostly just so I don't lose track of it, this is where the pipe comes up.


The end result was not was I was expected.  There was water coming out (though not much) when I left them up there around lunch time.  So I think they hit water at under 100 feet.  But they didn't find more.  The guy said he doesn't know the static level, but they drilled all the way to 300 feet and I was only getting around 0.75 gallons per minute.  If the static level is high enough that there are hundreds of gallons in the well itself, it won't be an issue, but if it is deep, I will need them to continue drilling.  I am already at about 9 grand for the drilling, but don't want a well I can pump dry without too much effort.  I did a quick tally, and I expect that at the moment, I could expect to use around 150 gallons of water in a day.

First thing I am doing tonight is finding pants.  They are all packed.  It was cold up there today.  I shouldn't have stuck around as long as I did (I need to do some more work tonight) but I froze my butt off up there today.  30s and raining hard to soak through a sweatshirt will do that though.  No movement on the actual checklist though.

1 comment:

  1. For those curious, these are the Water estimates:
    shower - 60gal - 3GPM @ 20 min
    dishwasher - 24gal - 4 cycles at 6gal per cycle
    washer - 30 gal
    toilet - 15 gal - 1.5gal per flush * 10 flushes per day
    sinks - 25gal - WAG

    Total = 154 gallons

    Given that overnight, even at only 0.5gal per minute, it would refill 240 gallons (0.5 * 60 * 8), even if I used all the water all at once right before bed, it would be refilled by morning. I just need to make sure that I have the 154 gallons in reserve. It is extremely unlikely that I run the dishwasher or washer more than once in a day. Also, these estimates are extremely conservative. Showers are only 2.1GPM and less than 10 minutes normally, and toilets are 1.28 for example.

    ReplyDelete