Sunday, October 14, 2018

Bathroom floor all but complete.

Didn't get quite as much done as I would have liked.  It didn't help that I ended up making multiple trips back.  I forgot to grab the stuff out of the car.  After that, it turned out that I needed more boards since things didn't quite go as planned.  I made two different trips to Home Depot today.

For starters, the dolly idea didn't work out.  The washer fits nicely on the dolly.  The only problem is that the first time it goes to agitate, it spun the whole machine.  I put my shoes under it which worked for the wash cycle, since I didn't really want to try to lift it off while it was full of water.  It probably would have torn the handles out of the side.  A new plan is required.


The first thing I did up at the property today (other than forget things) was install the toilet flange and shower drain.  I realized that I probably should have installed them first, and fit things around them, instead of trying to install them afterwards.  It was too late for the toilet, but thankfully 3" fittings have a massive lip, so it is still sealed, even though it wouldn't go in all the way.  The shower however, ended up taller than expected.  This was the cause of one of the Home Depot trips, since I needed more boards.


I did get all the boards cut and fit, except for the one with the drain itself.  Even the little one for the corner.


I was hoping to find someone with a hole saw, but I haven't been able to as of yet.  Work only has up to 4, and neither Tim nor Jason has one.  I might unfortunately have to cut it with the jig saw, which won't look pretty.  I am not a big fan of buying one for 25 bucks and then only using it once. 

I also got the trim boards cut while I had the table saw out.  I just need to dig out my router, or have Tim round the edges.  The wider one is the backsplash for the door, the small one for in front of the cabinets and toilet.


One thing that I found out the hard way:  these things don't work at all.  I saw a mouse come out and take a peek and watch me cut a board.  The No-pestz was less than two feet away, and the mouse appeared unfazed. 


Since I had a brand new tarp, and it is only supposed to rain tomorrow, the rest of the week is supposed to be nice, I covered the table saw and chop saw.  I did put a spare piece of plastic over it so even if the tarp does let water through, the saws should stay reasonable dry.


Unfortunately Home Depot apparently no longer carries fiberglass, which means I will have to order in a mat.  I might try to find my resin first, make sure I don't need any more of that.  I think I had a little over a quart left, which for a 4x4 chunk should be enough.  Assuming I can find it. 

The landlord called today, and I have a date in which he is renting the apartment I am squatting in.  The people moving in are closing on selling their house on November 14th, a little earlier than the Thanksgiving I was led to believe.  I will need to get a hold of the septic guy and find out when he is going to be done.  I also need to find out what the town requires.  I have the state approval for the septic already.  I need the well, which is quick, and the apron.  I really don't want to pave the apron and then have his excavator and dump truck tear it up, but if it gets me the occupancy permit, I might just do it.

No movement on the checklist.
Before Occupancy:
  1. Install paneling on interior walls.
  2. Build floor pan for the bathroom
  3. Install bathroom fixtures.
  4. Install exterior electric boxes.
  5. Complete interior plumbing and test it.
  6. Finish running the waste PVC line.
  7. Run water lines for well.  
  8. Get well installed.
  9. Get hot water heater installed.
  10. Install flooring.
  11. Install some form of cabinets in the kitchen.  
  12. Install kitchen sink.
  13. Install kitchen appliances.
  14. Install enough driveway to satisfy the apron requirements.
Before Winter:
  1. Build bed frame.
  2. Build closets.
  3. Install table.
  4. Install skirting.
  5. Install heat tapes.
  6. Build some sort of porch.
  7. Smooth driveway enough to plow/clear
  8. Fix snowblower.  
  9. Winterize equipment (mower, undercoat the truck, etc).
  10. Clear slab
  11. Shed work
    1. Extend roof to prevent snow pushing on the side.
    2. Fix pilings.

1 comment:

  1. For your fiberglass, an automotive body shop or marina will have mat or cloth, as well as resin. Might even be able to find it at Tractor Supply

    ReplyDelete