Sunday, October 15, 2017

Plow acquired, yet still more plumbing.

Today involved... more plumbing.  I got the two main verticals hung.  The laundry room side is up to the elbow that goes through the floor.

The bathroom side is roughly equivalent.  The trap isn't cemented in because I haven't installed the sink yet.  

I also fixed my error from yesterday and made another whoopsie.  That vertical pipe (the one on the bottom) was the pipe I got from Dad for carrying the roll of metal around, so it is aged, and well past its prime and probably should not have been used for new construction.  I grabbed it since it was outside with all my other pipe and looks exactly identical, same brand, same print on it and everything.  The good news is that it is in the dry vent portion of the line, so even if it cracks, it won't leak gray water, since this part of the pipe should never get wet.  If it does, the house is underwater.

I also had a spill of the PVC cement.  It got on the ladder, and unfortunately my tape measure was there.  It dissolved a little bit of the casing (the cement is pretty corrosive stuff, which is why it makes a good chemical weld) but everything seems to still work.  


I left a bit before dark to go look at a plow.  It should bolt right onto my tractor; it is a Craftsman blade for Craftsman tractors, but I am not sure that the front of my tractor can handle it.  It was all I could do to lift it, so it is quite heavy.  I will get better pictures tomorrow.  One nice thing about it is that it doesn't require you get off to change the plow angle.  If it mangles the front of my tractor, I will probably end up bringing it down and hooking it onto Dad's tractor and borrowing his 4 wheeler until next year and build a plow for that.  

The leaves are doing some weird things this year.  I got all the colors in one leaf.

It makes the tree look interesting.  

So I came to the realization today that I did pretty much everything in the wrong order.  I should have done the rough in sewage plumbing first, then the floors, and then the underbelly.  I realized today that I will have to cut chunks out of the flooring for the plumbing instead of just the holes where the pipes go through as you would in normal construction.  The venting should have been the last part that I did.  I can no longer do any plumbing from underneath though since the underbelly is already on. Fortunately everything is close enough to the edge that it won't really impact anything, but it is still a lesson learned.  

I also realized something else today, I don't have enough drop to bring the sewer line out right over top of the hole in the slab.  You need 1/4" per foot (or 1" every 4 feet) and the front is almost 18 feet from the septic line in the slab, but I don't have 4.5" of drop required to make the run that far, so I will have to drop it out from the house in front of the axles and run it outside across the axles to the drain in the slab.  I don't like that, but I don't really have a choice unless I want to remove all the cross members on the trailer frame and cut parts of my joists away, which I like even less.  Bummer.

1 comment:

  1. whoops! lovely fall color though! can i share on facebook??

    ReplyDelete