Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Miserable day.

I wasn't intending to do any work today since I thought the owner of the building was going to pop in at 6.  He hasn't shown up yet as of posting this (6:51PM).

I did stop up at the property today, since I wanted to make sure the underbelly was watertight.  I noticed the last time it rained that there was a little that had leaked in the front, but since I hadn't taped it up yet, I kind of ignored it.  I got quite the surprise on my drive up there, the storms coming through today were really nasty.  I had a branch come down on my car while I was driving up there.  Thankfully no real damage, just a few scratches and some of the plastic molding around the windshield broke, but when I got up there, my heart sank a bit.


The picture is out of focus because I didn't have my camera with me; I wasn't intending to do any work today, so I took it with my phone which doesn't focus.  You can still clearly see that the carport toppled over.  As for a damage report, I didn't do a thorough check, but the chop saw went for a ride, my circular saws were both out, the jig saw was out, most of my hand tools were out (my hammers, screwdrivers, chisels, clamps, pliers, etc), my carpenter square and level were out, the grill is totaled, I could smell propane everywhere so I am not sure if the tank is busted or not, but I did turn the tank off.  The generator looked ok, but likely took a beating as things crashed around, so it could conceivably be damaged.  Thankfully my drill, reciprocating saw, sander were all inside.  The PVC pipe was undamaged, and my brand spanking new light took a tumble but looked ok.  Uggh.

To add insult to injury, the front still leaks.


I tarped up what I could in the driving rain.



Heather brought up something that I had only briefly considered before.  If I do get the loan, and don't make it up there this winter, my financial situation would get rather dicey really quick.  I had a quick look at the terms when I applied, and since the longest they offer is a 5 year loan (on 31k) I am looking at almost a grand a month once I get the loan.  If I don't move out, I can't count on the 775 I pay for rent, and 300-400 I pay for utilities to cover that.  I was expecting to have to cover it for a month or two, but if I don't move up there this winter and do get the loan, I might be eating a lot of plain chicken patties with nothing on them this winter.  It wouldn't bankrupt me, I make enough to cover it, but it makes things tight.  I have a message from TD bank with them wanting me to call them back, I am not sure that I do...

UPDATE - TD Bank would only approve me for 15k, which is the same as the other lenders, and won't cover the septic.  Things are not looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment