Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Mundane day.

Today was a really nice day, but I spent most of it in my car running around trying to find a loan.  As I expected, Key doesn't service NH, so I went and tried a couple of other banks.  It looks like People's United Bank has the loans I am looking for, they are putting together some questions and a couple of different types of loans that would work for me.  I hope to have that tomorrow, but realistically it might take another day or two.

I spent a good deal of the rest of the day reading up on plumbing.  Just as a recap, this was the plumbing design (note the missing dishwasher...).


It turns out when I designed my plumbing, I never stopped to consider that the vent lines needed to be too large to run in the wall.  Since I am making use of a wet vent, I need at least a 2" pipe.  I can't cut a 2" hole in my top or sole plates though, it is greater than 40% of my board thickness, it isn't allowed because it is a really terrible idea structurally.  I also never did any detailed designs for the drainage system.  That made making the BOM very very difficult to do.

The only design I came up with that meets all the requirements requires I either leave an elbow visible in the venting system from inside the bathroom/laundry room, or I put in a lower ceiling in the bathroom and laundry room.  I am not sure which route I am going to take yet, but it shouldn't impact the plumbing stage.

They are kind of crude drawings, but I finally did the detailed design.  This is the bathroom.  I am not sure if the main stack still needs to be 3" since every water system has its own independent air vent.  The 3" main vent line will be branched in the attic, and the main no longer vents anything: in the original design it was both the laundry and shower vent, which isn't allowed.  I might just make it a 1.5" pipe and expand it to a 3" when it gets under the floor.  This way it fits in the wall separating the laundry room and bathroom, and no long requires a weird kitty corner in the bathroom.  I might also just omit it.  Split the 3" inlet of the main AAV in the attic and call it a day.  Personally I like the extra venting.  The cold air should all be stopped by the traps on the devices, so it won't make the front of the trailer colder.


This is the laundry room.  It now has its own vent.  In order to have the trap above floor and not have too high a vertical drop from the wall, it needed one.  I can separate the source lines into their own stud bay if I need more space for the drain plumbing.  The drain will likely require that I cut the sole plate, which is the only part I haven't figured out.  I might just make a little platform and run the plumbing under the platform in the room.


The kitchen sink, which also has the dishwasher drain.  This one makes use of an accessory AAV so I didn't need to play the kind of games in the kitchen that I did in the bathroom and laundry room.  They claim you only need a 1.5" drain in the kitchen for the sink, but I figured going to 2" makes everything common and makes sure that if I get a dishwasher that has a strong pump I can still use my sink while the dishwasher is running.


On a bit of a good note, I managed to intercept the underbelly that the post office was sending on a grand tour of the area.  It went to Swanzey, they said we can't deliver to an apartment, sent it to West Swanzey, who was like WTF? and sent it back to the sorting station in Keene, who then sent it back to West Swanzey, and they were about to send it back to Keene to be forwarded to Sullivan today when I snagged it.  I got there about a half hour before they put it on the truck for Keene.


Unfortunately, I didn't measure the width of the frame, since I originally was intending to tape two pieces together and run the frame rails with it, but the trailer is too wide for that...  Oops.  It is only a 30" roll.  Instead I think I will just run it across.  It means a lot more seams, but will work much better, especially by myself.


The only change on the checklist is that the plumbing and the rodent barrier (which is the underbelly) are now both in progress.

  1. Square up the corners
  2. Attach ceiling beams
  3. Secure rafters and beams with hurricane ties
  4. Attach the subflooring to the trailer frame.
  5. Sheathe the roof
  6. Install tar paper to make the roof watertight.
  7. Install windows and AC.
  8. Tyvek wrap.
  9. Install roof.  Including the drip edge.
  10. Install siding.
  11. Install attic vent
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Run the rough electric.
  14. Install rodent barrier/underbelly.
  15. *Finish the exterior.  Do Skirting.  *14
  16. *Install insulation. *14
  17. *Install flooring.  *16
  18. Install light fixtures.
  19. Install ceiling and attic insulation. *18
  20. *Install paneling  *13, 16
  21. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *20
  22. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).  *17, 20
  23. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.
Hopefully tonight I will finish the BOM for the plumbing (for real this time) so I can go start picking stuff up for it.  For the drain, there are so many parts that I might just pick up a bunch of PVC, a bunch of wye joints, and play it by ear after that.  That is how I did the electric, I just bought a spool of wire, and a bunch of boxes outlets and switches, and by the time I had used everything up, I had a good feel for what was left, or at least I thought that at the time (the electric actually required 5 trips to Home Depot...)  I have a ton of stuff on the next shopping list already, since the plumbing is really four steps: source lines, drain lines, venting system, and the gas lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment