Monday, October 2, 2023

Carport is ready to fill up.

Friday I went up to the spa place.  They said my water was close to fine (needed a little more calcium) other than the lack of bromine.  They said that the shock I was using was not a good one for bromine, and gave me a different one. 


I tested it when I got home.  It definitely raised the bromine levels more than the other shock did.  It sent the levels higher than my test strips could read.  The shock is supposed to reactivate the spent bromine, and it definitely did so.


I also noticed when I got back from shopping Friday night that I have a new crack in the ceiling.  This reminded me that they never came back to fix the windows.  They didn't fix them last time they came out (when they fixed the floors) because it was raining, and they for obvious reasons didn't want to pull siding and re-set the windows in the rain.  I will have to give them a call this week.


The weekend was a bit warmer; I even opened up the windows.  After the house spent a good chunk of the week below 60, it started warming up quickly.  It was 58 when I woke up, and got up to 60 by about 10AM. 


Saturday morning was set to finish up the carport. I got the remaining braces installed pretty quickly.  


Then it was time to move everything out of it so I could finish moving the carport into place.  


I put the wheels that were digging on boards to move it, which seemed to work pretty good.  Everything was still kind of soupy and soggy because of the couple of inches of rain we got on Thursday and Friday.


I pulled the back over with Barry's winch.


As it sank into the swamp, I realized that my regular jack wouldn't fit underneath the walls.  Fortunately I still had the other one I used to fix the floor in the shed which I used to jack it up enough to get boards under the wheels.  It was slow, but lifted the back without issue.  Considering it is a pretty light duty jack (only 2k lbs), I think the carport isn't as heavy as I thought it was.


I took a quick break from the carport at that point and went to work on the drainage ditch.  I got most of the rest of the side down by the creek done, mostly because I wanted it to start draining.  Not sure if I can weave the pipe through all the rocks though. 


I didn't quite finish up the carport on Saturday, but finished it up Sunday.  I can now walk through here while carrying stuff without issue.  


I didn't quite get it all the way over, but it is within a foot of the rocks, which is plenty good enough for this year.  


In a failed attempt to level it, I put this side up on blocks.  It didn't work well, but it is better than nothing.


After that, it was time to remove the boards from the inside.  I left the ones on the walls since I intend to pull it towards the back of the house at some point and they don't really impact the function of the carport, but that will be next year.


As I removed the boards, you can tell which bolts were the right ones, and which ones were not.  Considering those eye bolts are only rated for 350lbs though (and I pulled the carport using them), I don't think they did too badly.


I got the stuff that has been sitting outside in the yard back in the carport.


I started digging a bit more on the drainage ditch, but I popped something in my calf, and decided to call it a day.  

When I took a short break early in the afternoon I noticed that it finally got back up to 70 in my house.  It was quite warm on Sunday.

While the carport was one of the biggest remaining items, I really need to get cracking on the drainage and the water lines.  At this point I only have three weekends left before I leave on vacation, and one of those will be at a wedding (and this coming weekend looks like rain both days).  I did visit the quarry on Friday while I was running around, and they just got a paving job, so he said he wouldn't have a truck available for delivery for a couple of weeks, so I will need to call some independent guys.  I might end up paying more for the delivery, but the only alternative is to go and make a dozen or so trips in my truck and overload it each time (especially with my truck's apparent wimpy back springs).  Time is definitely short.  I might need to be "sick" a couple of days in the next week or two.

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment