Friday, October 27, 2023

Phew, just made it.

I did get my extended lunch yesterday, so I went home and worked on the back window for the cap.  Unfortunately, being in a rush, I got a little sloppy with the saw.  D'oh!  Fortunately it only hit plastic.


I also got lazy while in a rush, and decided to cut the hinge with my circular saw.  It went through the metal like butter.  It pays to buy nice blades.


I got the acrylic cut for the back before I had to go back into work.  


When I got home, it was assembly time.  It was after dark when I finished, but I got most of it done before it got dark.  


Turns out the handle for my outdoor broom is the perfect length to wedge in the corner of the bed and hold it open.  


Next up were the latches.  


Once I got the lid completed, I went to Hannaford to pick up the fresh stuff I wanted to bring.  It won't last the whole trip, but at least I will have some fresh veggies and whatnot for the first week or so.  I took that opportunity to test charging the Jackery while driving.  It worked just fine.  I am guessing it is limited to 100W on the 12V plug; I was getting around 80W but also have pretty significant voltage loss due to the length of the wires.  Still, the fridge only draws 40-50W when running, so it should be fine.  


And with that, the cap is complete.  It is still a bit tight, so hopefully it doesn't rain a lot and the wood expands, I might sand the sides down at some point in the future, but it won't be before this trip.  

The other big things were to get the GoPro setup.  That didn't go as planned.  I hope people weren't too attached to the en route videos I made on the last trip.  


Turns out the roof of my truck is aluminum, or at least something that isn't magnetic.  I tried my magnetic light on it, and it didn't stick either.  So going forward I will need to come up with a new way to mount the GoPro.  


I also started loading up the back.  It isn't quite finished I will finish it up today before I leave.  But all that is left is the second suitcase (I did all my laundry last night and packed the suitcase, I just didn't put it in the truck), and the fridge and microwave.  The spot on the left in the front is for the Jackery and fridge.  


This is likely my last post until after the trip, so no updates for a while.  I will be leaving work early, and finishing up the last couple of things, most notably the packing and the hot tub.  

Current To-do:
  • Trip:
    • Tonight - Drain hot tub and pack it away.
    • Do something with ditch in back
    • Go to Tractor Supply and finish out the mortgage.
    • Dump run
    • Friday - Turn off Synology
    • Friday - Turn on furnace/heat
    • Tonight - Pack clothes (26 days).  Buy clothes if needed.
    • Pack everything else.
    • Put cap on truck
    • Today - Build back window for cap
    • Postponed - Install basics, like lighting and window locks in cap.  - Don't need it for this trip.
    • Wednesday - Test cap.  Make sure it doesn't go explody at 80mph
    • Tonight - Test wiring for Jackery and fridge.
    • Tonight/Friday - Load truck.
    • Thursday - Print out directions
    • Thursday - Finish making hotel reservations
    • Set up GoPro control from my new phone.
    • Upon my return - Get haircut
    • Upon my return - Empty portable toilet.  Don't need it for this trip.
    • Have Barry come chop up the logs
  • After trip, but preferably before winter:
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.
    • Final mowing of leaves. 
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Install whole house filter
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment