Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Well, the e-bike has gone from extremely disappointing but still marginally useful to full on failure.

The ride home yesterday was disappointing.  The motor cut out twice.  The first time was because the cord for the motor unplugged.   They used the wrong type of connector; one that close to the chain and pedals really ought to have a latch, not just be friction fit.  I can fix that with some electrical tape though.  The second time it cut out was about 1/4 of the way up the steep hill.  I assume the motor overheated even though it was only in the low 70s since the motor was warm to the touch when it died, but there is no indication on the controller what happened.  Considering that hill is the reason I bought the e-bike, that was extremely disappointing.  Despite all that and the fact that I had to walk the bike up the hill, I still got home in an hour, which isn't bad.  The battery still had two bars in it, though that was likely due to it not working for the most grueling part.  So while it was extremely disappointing, it was still acceptable for use as a commuter.  And to be fair to the bike, that hill is really steep, like greater than 30 degrees in spots, and with my backpack on I am at the upper end of the weight limits that they advertise.


Then I rode it in again today.  My synopsis now is full on failure.  The motor cut out again on the way in, the same plug as yesterday, but I had another issue.  The pedal came apart.  Thankfully I was close to work and just throttled it and coasted the rest of the way in.  I will have to go see if I can find the pedal at lunch.  Looking at the crank though, it looks pretty torn up, so I am not sure I can just reinstall it.  I will have to look at whether I am still in the return window, since I did order it months ago at this point.  Otherwise I might just JB weld the damn pedal in.


Otherwise I didn't do too much last night.  I thought about cutting the PVC and getting the new sanitary tee in, but I got lazy.  I went in the hot tub instead.  I didn't stay in the hot tub long though because of bugs.  There was a really enormous (between 2-3" long) bee/wasp/hornet/black and yellow thing with stinger flying around the front.  


I hosed him down twice with bee spray, and he seemed to be immune to it.  I ended up stomping on him.


The other bug (that convinced me to get out of the hot tub and find said black and yellow thing with stinger) was apparently I had a spider in the hot tub.  The chemicals did their job, and he was dead though.  Fortunately when I bought the pool I found a skimmer on closeout next to it, so he got unceremoniously flung.  By the time the bug ordeal was over with though, my bubble cycle was nearly finished and it was nearly time for bed.


Going on three days now the levels in the hot tub are all still stable and in the OK range, so I think I am good.  The bromine is still high, and I think it will remain that way until I drain it.  I put enough granular bromine in for a 750 gallon tub.

None of this is on the checklist, and it looks like I will be either getting a ride home or going to the bike shop at lunch. Maybe try to find the pedal too.  Sigh.  After last night though, I will definitely be looking at bug netting for the back deck.  That won't stop spiders, but should keep the bees and whatnot out.  

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment