Wednesday, October 25, 2023

The cap lives.

I was tinkering with the hot tub yesterday when I went home for lunch to make the final run to the dump.  Turns out I didn't remove the valve, it is a two part valve.  It has deflated a bit more since the last picture, but it is still standing on its own.  


The replacement stairs came in yesterday, despite Amazon claiming they wouldn't be in until December.  I walked up them and they didn't buckle this time.


I left work a little early and helped Barry get the rest of the wood.  We loaded my truck to the brim.  It felt like it was somewhere around 2500 lbs based on how the truck was handling.  


After that he helped me put the cap on and get the gasket on it.  The side on the right looks a little bent, but it fits properly.  Maybe I will add a brace just to keep it from bending further.


I also put screws in the windows since I was going to replace them anyways, and haven't installed the latches.  


He expressed concern about there not being any material here, and if I am driving in the rain, will the natural curve of the truck push water up there.  I hope not, but I guess we will find out.  I had a shelf there in my final design, but that was a "after I get the raise portion for the bed installed" task.  


I got it clamped down, but I don't like how little of the wood it is biting.  Thus far it hasn't been a problem though.  


I couldn't get the clamp on over here.  Unlike the back, there isn't play in the front.  I will have to come up with an alternative solution for holding this corner down.  I am currently driving with only 3 clamps, which is playing with fire.  


I took it for a test run around the block though, and everything survived.  It was quite solid, even with me doing a slalom in the road.


I also made a run to Home Depot to get the parts for the rear window.  Turns out it starts whistling at around 40-45mph, and starts vibrating at 60-65mph.  I assume the whistling is  the window that is broken, and the vibrating is the sides of the windows (I only put screws in the bottom to close them).  On a side note, the truck's bed light easily illuminates the whole thing.  I should be able to fix both of those today.  


After I got home from the run to Home Depot, I finished up some more packing.  


I am still worried about time, but at this point I am mostly ready.  Tonight I will go and pick up the fresh veggies and whatnot I intend to bring and build the back window, and then tomorrow is the last load of laundry.  Friday I will do the final shut down of everything and make sure the furnace is running as a backup and that kind of stuff, and take off Friday evening.

Current To-do:
  • Trip:
    • Drain hot tub and pack it away.
    • Do something with ditch in back
    • Go to Tractor Supply and finish out the mortgage.
    • Dump run
    • Friday - Turn off Synology
    • Friday - Turn on furnace/heat
    • Thursday - Pack clothes (26 days).  Buy clothes if needed.
    • Pack everything else.
    • Put cap on truck
    • Wednesday - Build back window for cap
    • Wednesday - Install basics, like lighting and window locks in cap.
    • Wednesday - Test cap.  Make sure it doesn't go explody at 80mph
    • Thursday - Test wiring for Jackery and fridge.
    • Thursday - Load truck.
    • Thursday - Print out directions
    • Thursday - Finish making hotel reservations
    • Set up GoPro control from my new phone.
    • Upon my return - Get haircut
    • Upon my return - Empty portable toilet.  Don't need it for this trip.
    • Have Barry come chop up the logs
  • After trip, but preferably before winter:
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.
    • Final mowing of leaves. 
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Install whole house filter
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

2 comments:

  1. for a quick fix on the unsecured corner, screw in an eye hook, get a couple "S" hooks and a little bit of chain and a turnbuckle and anchor it to the bed loop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had very similar thoughts; I ended up putting in an eye hook and just using a ratcheting strap to the bed loop

      Delete