Monday, October 16, 2023

Getting ready to move mountains of snow. Lots of little things.

Friday I went and got more rocks.  Yay.  My arms hurt most of the weekend because of it.  But I got to watch the sun go behind the hill as I emptied the truck.  



This load of rocks primarily went on the driveway.  These spots are nicer, but it is going to take at least another two or so loads to finish it.  I really wish I had found someone to deliver it, then it is all tractor work and would already be done.  



After unloading it Friday, I went up to Tractor Supply to get the rest of the pieces I need to finish off the mortgage.  I will email them today to find out if I have to complete the drainage (so that they can inspect it) or whether just having the materials (which is all I am being reimbursed for) is enough.  But between the gravel I have gotten, the seed, and a bail of straw for erosion control, that is all the materials.  I guess I don't necessarily have to complete the mortgage this year, it can stay open for up to a year, but I don't particularly want it to stay open.  The autopay is interest only until it completes, and I also have to carry more expensive homeowners insurance until it is completed. 



It was dark at that point, but I also went and cleaned the tools out of the truck and cleaned out the back seat.


Saturday morning I decided to start with emptying out the portable garage.  It wouldn't survive snow, so it needs to come down.  There has already been measurable snow on Mt. Washington this year, and has been cold enough to snow at my place.  The tractor was due for some greasing though, so I did that first.


I then put it to work.  Pulled out the winter shovels and whatnot, got the rest of the stuff split between the shed and the carport.  I put the miter saw in the shed this time, instead of the carport.  


That led to a couple of other tasks while that was going on.  When I pulled my driveway markers, I just installed them instead of moving them twice.  They are all out. for the winter now. 


The hose carrier was up there too.  But before I could drain and put the hoses away, I needed to finish up the plumbing in the back.  I got the drain hose removed, and the coupler and whatnot installed.  This will eventually have its own drain into the drainage I am installing, but it isn't there yet.  


I also did the weekly maintenance on the hot tub.  I think going forward, cleaning the filter should be a twice a week item though, not a weekly item.  It was brown.  I got most of it out though.


The hoses then got unrolled to drain out.  


After a couple of hours, I got them rolled up on the stand put away.  For this winter at least, I just put it behind the carport.


I kept an eye while I was doing all this, but I didn't get to see any of the eclipse.  Oh well, better luck next time.  There is supposed to be a really good one next year.


But the portable garage is now empty.  


And torn down.


The shed has stuff in it again.  


I did a little bit more cleaning in the truck, it is almost good to go now.  The winch needs to be returned.


After that it was getting dark, so I went and picked up the first snowblower.  It was a cheapo walk behind.  I paid less than a hundred for it, and it seems to run good.  It started first pull even without the electric start.  It is a Briggs and Stratton though, so it might break next pull.


It also has smooth auger blades, which is better for me, it will push rocks around instead of jamming them and pinching them.


It needs a little TLC though.  You might not have noticed in the previous picture, but they used D clips instead of shear pins, which is dangerous for my driveway.  Unfortunately I think I gave the spare shear pins I had away with the old snowblower when I sold it, so I will have to pick up a few sets.  The oil looked awful, some weird light gray opaque stuff, so I intend to change it before winter.


I unloaded the snowblower Sunday morning (those previous pictures were taken Sunday morning).  I got my ramps (which were also in the portable garage) hung back up in the shed. The cross boards made me shift them a bit, but no issues.  


Sunday was snowblower day.  Before I started on that though, I dragged the hot tub steps out to the road and put a free sign on them.  They should be gone shortly.  I noticed as I was dragging them down though that my moose has been through.  He has gotten bigger too.  


Next up was the big snowblower.  The first part was getting it uncrated.  It was well packaged.


Surprisingly, despite my tractor's inability to lift the snowblower with the bucket, the back had no trouble with it.  It definitely knows it is there, but no trouble lifting it.  


This snowblower is built beefy.  The steel on the auger is at least 1/4", maybe bigger.  


The chain was pretty insane too.  


Despite this though, I was a bit disappointed with how much rust was on it straight from the factory.  I will have to pull this apart and paint it next year.


The quality of the welds is poor in spots too.  You can see  daylight through part of the corner of the chute.  


This is the first PTO driven attachment I have bought, but to me it looks like this PTO shaft is too long.  By a fair amount.  I think Tractor supply carries them, so I will head up there at some point soon to pick up a shorter one.  You can cut them down, but I don't have the right tools for it.


Fortunately my tractor already had the holes needed for mounting the discharge chute rod, so I didn't have to drill any holes in my tractor.


It is mostly assembled at this point.  


I just need to fill the crank case with gear oil, grease it up, and get the PTO shaft installed.  


Cleaning up afterwards filled an entire bag of trash.  There was a lot of packing material, but as I said, they packed it very well.


After that my motivation was waning, and I still had to go shopping for the week, since I went to Tractor Supply Friday night instead of my normal shopping run.  I have most of the food at this point, there is only a handful of things left to pick up.  It is really nice having the space to use as a staging area.


I had trouble sleeping last night, so I went out and did something else that has been waiting in addition to some overdue chores.  I attempted to calibrate my oven.  I at least got it fixable, it is only off by about 55-60 degrees, which is correctable by just setting it higher, but I ran out of calibration adjustment.  It might be time to email Whirlpool.  It was off by around a hundred degrees before, so if you set it for 450, it usually wouldn't get past 350, maybe 375 if you were lucky.  My last frozen pizza was still raw in the middle when I took it out.  At least now with it set for 450, it gets to 390, so just set it 50 higher and that is probably close enough.


I managed to close off a bunch of the smaller items this weekend, but this was my last weekend before my trip, so time is still very short.  


Current To-do:
  • Trip:
    • Make sure my formal clothes can be found and still fit.
    • Drain hot tub and pack it away.
    • Hook up snowblower to tractor
    • Do something with ditch in back
    • Go to Tractor Supply and finish out the mortgage.
    • Dump run
    • Turn off Synology
    • Turn on furnace/heat
    • Pack clothes (26 days).  Buy clothes if needed.
    • Pack everything else.
    • Pack food.
    • Clean out truck
    • Wash out bed
    • Put cap on truck
    • Build back window for cap
    • Install basics, like lighting and window locks in cap.
    • Test cap.  Make sure it doesn't go explody at 80mph
    • Test wiring for Jackery and fridge.
    • Load truck.
    • Print out directions
    • Finish making hotel reservations
    • Set up GoPro control from my new phone.
    • Get haircut
    • Empty portable toilet.
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Have Barry come chop up the logs?
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Clean out and take down portable garage.
    • Remove the tow straps embedded in the carport.
    • Drain hoses and put away for winter.
    • Get rid of those steps for the hot tub.  
    • Close up tiny home.
    • Install driveway markers.
    • Final mowing of leaves. 
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Install whole house filter
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment