Thursday, October 26, 2023

Cap reinforcements. Working in the dark isn't fun.

I didn't get to go out yesterday at lunch (I didn't get a lunch at all yesterday actually) so I didn't get a chance to build the back window, but I still got some stuff done during the day yesterday.  While I was in a call, I finished making the hotel reservations, and got the directions all printed out.  


Since Home Depot didn't have any c-clamps, I ended up going to Harbor Freight.  I saw an interesting vehicle while I was there.  There was a coffin in the back too.  


I didn't get home until after dark.  Since I am out of time, I decided to work on the cap anyways.  I got screws put in the sides of the windows.  I also taped up the broken section.  


That got me thinking, why not tape all the corners and seams.  So I did that too.


Dad and I had very similar ideas for how to attach the corner that the clamp didn't fit.  His way was stronger, but mine was simpler, just a ratchet strap and hook eye. The straps aren't as strong, but a strap is still stronger than the hook eye (which are only rated for ~250lbs).  


I stuffed the leftover strap into one of the crevices of the bedliner.


While I was at it, I added two more C clamps in the middle.  


So it now has 6 attachment points.  It was solid before, now it will be solid even if one (maybe even two depending on which two) of the clamps loosens up with vibration.  


I also added some extra bracing in the back corners.  


The other one was square, this side is as bad as it looks.


I took one of my longer bungee cords and hooked it from the front to the back.  This way when I load it up I have something to attach things to.


The last thing I did was I ran the 12V extension wire.  The idea here is that I have a 12V charger for the Jackery, and I am hoping that I won't have to lug the Jackery out to plug it in every night.  On days when I drive a lot, the 12V charging will hopefully top it off.


I am still trying to deflate the hot tub.  I made some progress, but I think I am going to need a vacuum to finish it off; it won't do it on its own. 

I tested the cap on my way in to work today.  The whistling is still present, but is quieter now.  The vibration is still present, but it doesn't vibrate until about 75mph now, and isn't bad even then.  While it means I will be slow out west where the speed limits are 80mph, that should be fine.  The cap has a surprising amount of drag on it, so I probably won't be going 85+ anyways.

I plan on taking an extra long lunch break today (and already cleared my work calendar for it), so I should be able to build the back window.  Time is running short, but the list of tasks is dwindling down as well.  Some things, like the lighting, I may not bother.  The truck's bed light is more than sufficient, and I don't plan on sleeping in the back of the truck on this trip; my cot was one of the mold casualties so I will be sleeping in the cab the couple of nights I will be in the truck.  The only planned nights in the truck are Friday night, and the last couple of nights on the way back to KY.  You can see the itinerary here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yxWkIWb0KuOD_Q4MdSrbRjjhJUyD5iByeS89gjjEwwI/edit?usp=sharing

Current To-do:
  • Trip:
    • Tonight - Drain hot tub and pack it away.
    • Do something with ditch in back
    • Go to Tractor Supply and finish out the mortgage.
    • Dump run
    • Friday - Turn off Synology
    • Friday - Turn on furnace/heat
    • Tonight - Pack clothes (26 days).  Buy clothes if needed.
    • Pack everything else.
    • Put cap on truck
    • Today - Build back window for cap
    • Postponed - Install basics, like lighting and window locks in cap.  - Don't need it for this trip.
    • Wednesday - Test cap.  Make sure it doesn't go explody at 80mph
    • Tonight - Test wiring for Jackery and fridge.
    • Tonight/Friday - Load truck.
    • Thursday - Print out directions
    • Thursday - Finish making hotel reservations
    • Set up GoPro control from my new phone.
    • Upon my return - Get haircut
    • Upon my return - Empty portable toilet.  Don't need it for this trip.
    • Have Barry come chop up the logs
  • After trip, but preferably before winter:
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Shorten PTO shaft for snowblower
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Close up tiny home.
    • Final mowing of leaves. 
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Install whole house filter
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
    • Install cube organizer in living room
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment