Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Nothing motivates like a deadline.

Even though I got home a little late last night, I decided to start working on the plumbing, even though I hate PVC (in case you had forgotten).  While I didn't particularly want to, I really needed to.  Turns out the drywall over the washer is only screwed in through the trim pieces, which I suspected.  Given that the laundry trap is there, access is needed.  


I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever seen PEX used as conduit.  I expect that isn't to code...  Though to be fair, I don't think conduit is even required here.  My guess is that it is only being used to keep the wire and PVC from rubbing.


This is my plan.  It isn't clear in the video, but I plan on having shut off valves on both sides, so I can select which path the water will take. 


I had some stuff I needed for it, but not everything.  I didn't have a lot of leftover 3/4" PEX parts.  So I made a run to Home Depot and got what was missing.

To placate my lack of desire, I went in the hot tub afterwards.  Even though I hadn't used it in two days, the bromine levels are still high.  And I took this after using it (the fastest way to drop the Bromine in a well-balanced tub is to use the tub).  I will keep an eye on it and I might reduce the tablet dispenser's rate.  But at least it appears that my hot tub is now balanced properly.  On a side note, the bubbles felt nice on the back, but just soaking in the water afterwards stretching out my calf that I pulled over the weekend also felt really nice.


I also finally got around to plugging in the power meter.  Considering the heater and the pump were running, I was surprised to see it only drawing around 700W.  Hopefully the kill-a-watt survives being outside in a wet environment.  They aren't rated for it. I do have a cover over it, which should help.


A couple of notes from this morning.  Apparently I got really angry and flailed around while I was asleep last night.  I have some patch, but I really don't know how it happened.  I guess this is why people have headboards?


I rode my e-bike into work this morning.  A couple of comments: I find it odd that the speedometer tops out at 37mph considering it assists up to 30mph, though I haven't actually checked its accuracy yet.  It did okay on the way in, which is mostly downhill.  My trip in was only around a half hour, which is acceptable.  The ride in is more important than the ride home because of time constraints (I have a daily meeting at 8:15AM).  That said, even having fixed the rubbing on the back tire, it has a very disappointing lack of power.  We shall see how it does on the way home tonight, but I expect I will be sad.


We are not quite at peak foliage yet, but there is plenty of color to see.  Here is some from my run to the dump yesterday.


Here is some from my ride in this morning during sunrise.  


I should hopefully be able to finish up the plumbing this week, despite how much I hate PVC.  Especially considering I can't use the washer until it is done, and could conceivably have to turn off the water to finish it.  I have debated putting in hammer arrestors while I have the panel off, but thus far they haven't seemed to be necessary.  While I was at Home Depot, I did pick up a bunch of pipe insulation as well.  

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment