Tuesday, October 10, 2023

That went poorly.

I went up yesterday at lunch and got the next round of gravel.  This time I only got 1100 lbs, the actual capacity of the truck.


Someone snagged me on my way out the door though and I had to stay late, so I didn't get it unloaded when I got home, it was already dark.  I did however get the rest of the plumbing done.



Triggered a backflush and it leaked everywhere.  The top of the tee seemed to be the source.  I saw one questionable crimp, but it wasn't on the top.  The crimp on the top looked fine.  Could be a bad tee, it was a leftover from building the tiny home so it is old.


Turns out once the backflush has started you can't stop it.  I even unplugged it and it still kept going.  I didn't try turning off the water, but I gave up and put a bucket under it.  


The good news though is that this side didn't leak, so I can put this back together and free up my washer.  


Once I got the bucket underneath I went out to the hot tub while it finished backflushing, since it takes a half hour.  It was on the chillier side last night, it was already down into the 40s when I went out.  It was 100 when I got in, and was down to 93 when the bubble cycle ended.  


I went and checked the power consumption.  Unfortunately the picture I took isn't readable...  I think it was 71kWh.  That is the 1 week consumption.  I looked at my last bill and my power is about 25¢ per kWh (a couple tenths of a penny more).  So that comes to roughly $17.75 per week, or $71 per month.  Less in the summer, more in the winter obviously.  Given that my power is extremely expensive, that seems about right, since I have been using it a lot (5 times in the past week).


It got down near freezing last night (we were in a frost warning), so I checked it in the morning as well.  The power consumption goes up a lot when it gets really cold.  I suspect that the lid is poorly insulating.  It was up at 80.54kWh this morning.  At least while I am using this inflatable hot tub, I don't think I will be running it in the winter.  


I didn't see any frost when I woke up this morning, but it was chilly inside.  I actually turned on the heat. 


The heat pumps worked surprisingly quickly, though it took them a minute or so to turn on.  In just the amount of time it took me to shower, get dressed, and make a lunch, it had added almost 8 degrees.  



I am still running around with the gravel in my truck, so I need to unload that at some point today.  I  also have to go get a new tee and hopefully get that installed tonight.  I am close, oh so close on the plumbing.  I don't think the gravel in the back of the truck is enough, but it isn't a big deal to go to the quarry at lunch.

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Install whole house filter
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment