Thursday, October 19, 2023

Mostly trip stuff, and some wood.

Barry came up and started chopping up the wood.  He got better than half of it cut up, and we loaded his little Tacoma to the limit.  He will be coming back probably today to finish it up.  



While we were doing that, somebody came and picked up the hot tub stairs.  Given that they brought a Jeep, and not a big one (I think it was a Patriot?), I was surprised that it fit.  We had to disassemble it, but that is gone now.  

Yesterday I went up to Hillsboro Ford to get it ready for the trip and so that they could fix the door.  I played around with this EV charger since it was sitting in the lobby, and I can't say that I am all that surprised that they have poor reliability.  This thing felt cheap.  Which is a bit concerning when you consider that this runs a lot of juice; this one is rated for 1000V and 300A.


The clips that hold everything in place were plastic that I could bend with my fingers, and the cord that holds the cable up (so the weight of the rather beefy cord isn't all resting on the plastic connector) is barely bigger than a shoelace.  


The issue with the door was that the hinge is bent.  They bent it back; they didn't have any new hinges on-hand, so we will see if that holds up.  I meant to ask about the multiple outstanding recalls, but forgot.  Oh well, that can happen after my trip.  


There is a Tractor Supply in Hillsboro on the way, so I stopped in.  It looks like PTO shafts are fairly standard in length.  They had a bunch that were identical to the one I got with the snowblower, but none that were shorter.  Looks like I will have to cut it down unfortunately.  I don't have the proper tools (only an angle grinder, which is not the right tool for the job). but I guess it will have to suffice.  I did get the gearbox oil and stuff while I was there though.


My new steps were on the steps when I got home.  I tried them out.  They were shorter than I expected.


330lb weight capacity my ass (which weighs significantly less than that).  So I will be returning them.  At this point the replacements won't arrive in time for my trip though, so I will be bringing my regular step ladder.  Which will hold my derriere despite being rated for only 230lb.  


I also did a little bit more meal prep.  I think I need to bring up the fridge from the tiny home and get that plugged in, so I can see how I am doing on freezer space and stuff like that.  I should have all the food prep done tonight or maybe tomorrow.  All that is left is the steakhouse rice, and freezing some bagels and veggies.  Part of me is thinking I went overboard (I have around $450 in groceries going, and considering I will probably eat out a fair bit, that seems overkill).  

I plan on getting the next load of gravel today at lunch, right after I drop off my formal clothes for dry cleaning.  Hopefully I get them back in time for the wedding this weekend.  I need to clean the rocks out of the bed, so this will probably be the last load of gravel for the year.  Looking at my yard, I am torn on whether to do the final mowing and winterizing of the mowers before I leave or after I get back.  On one hand, most of the leaves haven't fallen yet.  On the other hand, if I wait the ground might be white (though it is unlikely) when I get back. 

Current To-do:
  • Trip:
    • Make sure my formal clothes can be found and still fit.
    • Drain hot tub and pack it away.
    • Hook up snowblower to tractor
    • Do something with ditch in back
    • Go to Tractor Supply and finish out the mortgage.
    • Dump run
    • Turn off Synology
    • Turn on furnace/heat
    • Pack clothes (26 days).  Buy clothes if needed.
    • Pack everything else.
    • Pack food.
    • Clean out truck
    • Wash out bed
    • Put cap on truck
    • Build back window for cap
    • Install basics, like lighting and window locks in cap.
    • Test cap.  Make sure it doesn't go explody at 80mph
    • Test wiring for Jackery and fridge.
    • Load truck.
    • Print out directions
    • Finish making hotel reservations
    • Set up GoPro control from my new phone.
    • Get haircut
    • Empty portable toilet.
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
    • Have Barry come chop up the logs?
    • Take scrap metal to Buffum
    • Clean out and take down portable garage.
    • Remove the tow straps embedded in the carport.
    • Drain hoses and put away for winter.
    • Get rid of those steps for the hot tub.  
    • Close up tiny home.
    • Install driveway markers.
    • Final mowing of leaves. 
    • Winterize equipment
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Install whole house filter
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment