Friday, October 6, 2023

My truck got turned into a low rider.

I haven't done too much the last couple of days.  I worked a bit late on Wednesday since I lost a lot of time because of the bike failure, and just did some errands last night, picking up a  few parts and stuff, including the insulation for the water lines.  I haven't gotten around to doing the plumbing work yet.  

I have called three guys trying to get some gravel delivered, since I need some to fix the driveway and finish up the drainage ditches, but they have either not returned my call or said they were too busy.  So today I decided to just get some myself.  I need a lot more than I wanted to haul with my truck, but I also didn't want to wait anymore.  Unfortunately for me, I can't get rock the same way in this truck as I did the Tundra.  In the Tundra, as soon as I could see rocks in the rear view mirror, I knew to tell him to stop.  This truck though, I stopped before I could see anything in the rear view mirror because I could feel I had already flattened out the suspension.  Sure enough, when I got back to work, my truck is definitely riding low.  Really low.  Even the front end is low.


There is a lot more rock in the bed than I thought when I called the loader guy off.


According to the receipt, I got 3000lbs.  In a half-ton truck.  Oops.  Even despite being massively overloaded though, the truck seemed to handle it fine.  I could feel the tires rolling going around the roundabouts, but otherwise it handled it fine.  No funky steering or abnormal noises.  It handles being loaded a ton better than the Tundra did (pun intended).  I usually started feeling steering problems in the Tundra around 1200lbs, and would load it to 1200-1500lbs.


Sadly I haven't really gone out looking at foliage this fall, it has been a pretty good one.  Just my normal driving thus far this year, and given the time constraints I don't think I will get out this year.



While I don't think getting gravels marks anything in progress, it unblocks the drainage and the driveway.  I will probably do the drainage first, since absolutely worst case I can do the driveway after I get back.  It just means if I have to clear snow when I get back it will be annoying.  Packing and filling in the trenches with frozen ground is a lot more of a pain, especially without an excavator.  Something that isn't on the list that needs to be done soon is  to test the truck cap, and build the back window for it.  because of the funky lip on my tailgate, I wanted to put the cap on the truck before I built the back window for it, so I can ensure that it opens and closes properly with the tailgate up.  As time runs out though, I might just build it full size and deal with it next year.  

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  
    • Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment