Thursday, May 18, 2023

Tires all done. Time for a new NAS.

It was really nice Tuesday.  I took a couple of pictures while I was out wandering at lunch.  



I had intended to start working on the carport Tuesday night, but I happened to notice this and decided to fix this instead.  Turns out my NAS (network attached storage) has a bad drive.  I have enough drives and whatnot around to fix this one, but I don't have a way to back it up to build the new array, so I ended up buying a new NAS (most of the cost of a NAS is the drives anyways).  Courtesy of the size of drives these days, I went down to a 2 disk mirror.  It is smaller, less noisy, less heat, and I still have the drive redundancy I want.  I am getting a capacity upgrade to 22TB too, even though I don't really need it (but will start using it again once I get internet).


I didn't have a ton of time left after doing a little research and getting the new parts on order (it should be here tonight).  I did get my heater pulled out though.  Fortunately I remembered exactly which tote it was in and where exactly that tote was.  

Yesterday I picked up the last tire for the house and got it installed when I got home.  It was kind of chilly out so there were no bugs which was nice.  This tire wasn't flat, but wasn't anywhere near the pressure it is supposed to be at.  This presented a problem, because I couldn't pop the bolts; the tire was off the ground.  I ended up knocking out the front support and lowering the trailer all the way down on it.  But the last tire is installed.  


We had a freeze last night.  Hopefully the bugs are all dead; it wasn't a light freeze where it got barely cold enough to frost, this was way down into the 20s (Nelson was reporting 24° when I woke up).  The more mosquitos (which had started to come out) and black flies that don't survive it the better.  Sadly though, it also marks the end of our abnormally low humidity.  We had been seeing southwest levels of humidity (<20%).  

One other note, I made some mozzarella sticks with dinner last night, and ran the toaster oven off the Jackery.  My toaster oven draws 1330W apparently.  A 7 minute bake at 450­° drained the battery 5%.  It will do it, but I will have to watch out for consumption if I am going more than an overnight on battery.  It also has 0 standby draw which is nice.  


With the tires done, the cap and the carport are the next biggest things still remaining.  Still no update from the power company.  I might reach out to see if there is an updated delivery date for the house soon, it is less than a month away at this point.  

Before the site work:
  • Build prototype cap/camper
  • Empty slab.  Get the grill, storage binclotheslinebug zapper, and other junk off the slab.  
  • Replace tires on tiny home trailer
  • Determine where to and move carport
  • Build kitchenette for the truck camper
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Dishwasher
    • Water Heater
  • Finish packing up house
  • Move house to parking spot.  Plug septic.
  • Fix generator again.

No comments:

Post a Comment