Monday, May 22, 2023

Not much work, but some important progress.

I was pretty lazy this weekend.  All I really accomplished on Friday was getting the new NAS assembled  and set up.  The hardware install was really quick and painless, a whopping 2 minutes, most of which was getting the hard drives out of their borderline shrink wrapped anti-static bags.  The software setup took a bit longer.  The webUI on the Synology wasn't very good until I updated the firmware (all laggy and made you think it had crashed), but got better after the update.  I borrowed a router from work since I wasn't able to locate mine.  It should have been in the LAN tote with all my ethernet cables, but it wasn't.  This borrow might become long term if I tossed it.  



Saturday rained most of the day, so I didn't do much but go to Breezy's birthday party.  It really poured Saturday night though; when I woke up Sunday, the bed of my truck was full and the creek was overflowing.  My yard was just starting to dry out.  Couldn't have that.  I spent a good chunk of Saturday evening and Sunday morning beginning the mass transfer from one NAS to the other.  As of this writing, my pictures are transferred, and my movie collection is in the verify stage.  

Sunday afternoon though, I got a call from the site work guy, and he said he wanted to start June 6th.  He works directly for FineLine (the office number on his business card is FineLine's number), so I sent out a query this morning to see if there is an update on the delivery date.  Hopefully I will hear something today, but he mentioned previously he wanted 2 weeks before the house got there, so it would seem that the house is trending a bit more towards late June than mid June, but still on track.  

That call finally motivated me to get off my bum and do something, so I started working on the carport.  I got all the studs cut.  


Most of the doubling up of the studs are installed.


I didn't finish because unfortunately it appears that I broke my nail gun.  It jammed up really bad and I can't even pry the nails out with a screwdriver.  I will either have to disassemble it and try to fix it, or it might be time to replace it.  That nail gun was a cheapy from Harbor Freight around 7 years ago, it doesn't owe me anything.  It built the shed, house, carport, and all the other various projects along the way.  For a $70 dollar framing nailer, that is good.  If it is easily fixable, I will do it, but if I have to disassemble more than just the slide on it, it probably isn't worth the time.  


After that, I pulled out the last two totes I had in the shed.  These are my really old but heavy duty ones.


I got all my glassware packed.  I already had a bunch of plates and stuff packed in it.  I only pulled out service for 6 when I set up the kitchen in the tiny home, but Mom gave me something like service for 16, so I still had a bunch of plates and bowls and stuff packed.  At this point, I will be largely switching to disposable stuff, so I will need to buy some disposable bowls (I already had paper plates).


I am curious if anyone knows what these are.  They only come out at night, they are large (about the size of my thumb), kind of looks like a roach or something.  Whatever they are, there are a ton of them this year.  There have been a ton of bugs in general this year.  Even with that freeze, I am still getting chewed on more than normal, and it did take out a lot of the black flies.  


At this point, I will need to move the carport next weekend, and the house the weekend after.  All things considered, I shouldn't need to rush anything to be able to do that.  I should have enough time during the week to finish up the carport and then I have a whole extra week to finish the house packing; get things like the TV and whatnot out.  I don't think I will be able to fit everything else in the house into one tote, so I will likely have to pick up another couple.  At this point, I don't think things like fixing the generator are going to happen in time (not sure about building the kitchenette for the camper either), so I might be going into the move without a plan B which I don't like, but it just means I can't let plan A fail.  Plan A is to move the house and live in it.  Plan B was in case something bad happened to the house when it was moved (it isn't tied to the frame exceptionally well) and was to live in the camper in the back of the truck for a month.  I don't really have a Plan C, maybe set up the cot in the shed?  And I guess Plan D would be couch surfing/live in a hotel or something for a month. 

Before the site work:
  • Build prototype cap/camper
  • Empty slab.  Get the grill, storage binclotheslinebug zapper, and other junk off the slab.  
  • Replace tires on tiny home trailer
  • Determine where to and move carport
    • Double up the studs
    • Wall Bracing
    • Install skids
    • Install cross members
    • Drag to new location
  • Build kitchenette for the truck camper
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Dishwasher
    • Water Heater
  • Finish packing up house
  • Move house to parking spot.  Plug septic.
  • Fix generator again.

1 comment:

  1. another plan D is call here. I can bring my camper there for a short term loaner

    ReplyDelete