Monday, May 8, 2023

Nice but buggy weekend.

As I had expected I came home to more tree work being done on Friday.  It looks like they have largely finished cutting everything down.  I was told they would chunk the logs and chip the brush, so that would be all that is left.  I hope they plan on doing a bit more chunking and chipping.  They did at least do some chipping, but not a ton.  And I hope their idea of chunking isn't 16-20' logs.



I got a late start on Saturday, but I did get a bite on the stove and they came up and took the stove late morning.  I hope they are happy with it.  I got 80 bucks for it, which to be honest, is more than I expected.  It was dirty behind it.


While I was waiting for them to show up, I did a few other chores.  Since it was a nice weekend, I just put my little hanging rack thing outside.  It wasn't windy or anything, I thought it would be fine.  It had other ideas though.  The wood hooks gave way and it is no more.  Fortunately I have a backup, it just doesn't hold as much.  For now though, I just walked up the hill and used the big one.  


After a perhaps unintentional nap outside (it was really really nice, other than the bugs), I also finished up cleaning off the slab.  The metal was fun.  The cardboard tube has completely biodegraded.  I ended up strapping it together since I couldn't find a long enough piece of rope.


But the only things left underneath the house are junk (the Pin-Sol isn't junk) that I will throw away when the house is moved.


It was late in the afternoon at that point, so I decided to switch to some indoor tasks.  I got the fridge moved inside and plugged in to make sure it works.


I also cooked a full meal on the stove.  It is actually kind of nice to have space for plates and whatnot in front of the stove.  


The burners are now discolored.  They discolored a bit more than expected for a single use, but coloring is normal, it is just the metal heating and cooling.  


It looks like the fridge works (it came in at 38 degrees), but the freezer wasn't as cold as I had hoped.  It eventually got to zero, but was around 8 degrees for much of the evening.  Still cold enough to freeze though.  


Sunday was another nice day, albeit a bit warmer.  The big project for Sunday was replacing the wheel on the trailer frame.  It was a real pain.  It took me the better part of an hour to figure out how to get the old wheel off.


When I did the subflooring, I built over the wheels, and it looks like while I gave myself a few inches of clearance, I didn't give myself enough.  


I struggled with it for a few hours before I got frustrated and just completely deflated the tire, smooshed it in, then re-inflated it.  The tire is installed though.


The other tire on the slab side is still in decent shape, it doesn't look dryrotted.  This tire was brand new when I bought the trailer, so it is substantially younger than the other three.  I might skip this one for right now.


Something I noticed while I was working on the tire is that my water filter went to do its backflush, but it stopped prematurely and didn't reset the time.  No idea what that is about.  Hopefully it isn't broken; that was an expensive piece of equipment that I wasn't planning on replacing. The power is off today in case the tree company comes back to finish up, so it won't be able to backflush today.



Something I noticed when I was chasing birds out of the carport (I don't like them building nests on my bicycle) is that my mower appears to have developed a fuel leak.  Sigh.  It isn't bad, I might not care this year.


I also got some time to work on the cap again.  It has been so long that I had forgotten where I had put some of the stuff.  But I got the front window resized and installed.  


I also got the gasketing put down on the far side and the first window installed.  I am debating on whether to install the second window; it is already cracked.  On one hand, I don't really have enough time to replace all of them; it is crystal clear now that acrylic was the wrong choice of material.  I had a small crack in the front appear when I was installing it, even with the holes completely pre-drilled.  I might just bandage/tape it up and install it anyways just for waterproofing, and then deal with this at a later date.


At that point I had run out of materials and still needed to make a design decision, so I turned to a few other things.  I moved the grill off the slab, so the slab is now completely cleared off except for my garbage can and the next tote to pack.  There is still a chair too.  


Since we are supposed to have a few days without rain (ha!  it rained last night...), I went and re-posted the mortgage notice.  This time I had liberated a plastic binder thingy from work so it won't disintegrate in less than a day (I hope).  


As I noted above, we are in the heart of black fly season.  My dunks either didn't work (possible) or got washed away during the full week of rain (very likely) and they are out in force.  Fortunately for the most part as long as I wear long sleeves they will leave me alone.  I got a few bites on my legs, but nothing too bad.  What really bugs me though is the ticks.  They are everywhere.  Even more annoying is that they seem to wait on my slab; I have gotten 5 ticks on me working on my slab so far this year, and only one working in the yard.  This one crawled up the cap after I had put on the gasketing to pounce.


It was getting later in the day at that point, so I went back instead.  I discovered that the camping stove boils water faster than my old stove did.  I knew the Coleman did well in the BTU tests I had looked at online, but I didn't expect it to be better than a full size range.  That was a bit of a surprise. The stove gets loud and puts out a lot of flame when you crank it. 


I also moved some stuff into the fridge.  If things go well, I will be moving to this fridge this week, allowing me to get rid of my old one.  The freezer is small though.  Really small. I might have to supplement it with my portable cooler at work.  


I also packed a couple of totes.  This one I broke the lid at some point and didn't notice, so it got gorilla-taped back together.  


I have cleaned up the list a bit and removed everything that was already completed.  Things are looking good, though I am admittedly glad that I won't be moving the house by next week.  I still have to figure out the carport situation and finish the cap.  After I install the last window though I could probably just put it on the truck though.  I am hoping to have the rest of the major furniture out this week sometime, things like the dresser, closet, fridge.  As soon as I start moving those, I will mark the finish packing in progress.

Before the site work:
  • Build prototype cap/camper
  • Empty slab.  Get the grill, storage binclotheslinebug zapper, and other junk off the slab.  
  • Replace tires on tiny home trailer
  • Determine where to and move carport
  • Build kitchenette for the truck camper
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Dishwasher
    • Water Heater
  • Finish packing up house
  • Move house to parking spot.  Plug septic.
  • Fix generator again.

No comments:

Post a Comment