Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Time for plan B. My tractor is a wimp.

It was a bit of a toasty weekend, I was thankful for the extra day off.  Saturday was mostly spent getting the carport ready.  I got the side braces installed. 



I also got the rest of the brackets installed.  


Even though the last one isn't attached in this picture, I got the cross supports installed as well.  That took me into Sunday morning.


That was fun.  Most of them were attached using 4" decking screws, but I wanted to use a grade 8 bolt for the one in the front since it would be taking the brunt of the lifting force.  Apparently my 3/8" drill bit wasn't long enough to go through all three boards.  I had to go dig out my spade bits which was just barely long enough.  


After I got the last one installed, it was time to do a test lift.  Turns out my tractor can't lift it.


So the rest of Sunday was spent coming up with a plan B and plan C.  Originally I thought I might just rent an excavator, but the mini-ones available at Ace and Home depot can't outlift my tractor (which admittedly surprised me).  So I ended up with plan B is to put industrial casters on it and then drag it that way.  I have a couple sets on order for it.  Plan C is I see if I can borrow my Aunt's equipment trailer, and just jack it up and put it on that.  It won't really fit  (her equipment trailer is 8x16, the carport is 12x20), but it should be close enough to move it to the front yard.  

After that disappointment, I turned my attention back towards the house.  I came up with a list of things to do before moving the house (the list is part of the checklist below).  I also decided it was past time to pull out the portable toilet and make sure I understand its workings.  It is a very simple device; it didn't take long.  It is a bit smaller than I was expecting, but will do the job.  The hand pump on it was a bit stiff, but everything worked with no leaks.  I also got all my flash drives loaded up.


Memorial day was mostly just more house emptying.  Most of what is left in the house at this point is food.  I packed everything else in the bathroom, and most of my remaining dishes.  I am fully switched over to disposable stuff at this point.  I am down to just what I would have in the truck camper.  I tried to take one of the photo sphere thingies on my phone, but it came out horrendous (way to go google...), so I also took a short video.  




The portable garage is looking quite full.  


I am also at the point where I am comparing a couple of different living situations.  It is pretty clear at this point that I won't have the cap complete.  This means I have to find a solution for the fridge at least.  I am currently weighing two different options.  I am leaning towards the first one.

The first is to just bring the fridge into work.  That would allow me to run just what I need off the Jackery.  It also ties me to work for dinner (perhaps not a problem), but also means that I have microwave only.  Work would get very upset if I brought propane in the building, and I imagine they wouldn't look too kindly on me running a stove in the parking lot.  This does however mean that if I leave for a weekend or something, I can do so without worry; the fridge will be fine.  

The other is to put everything in the back seat of the truck.  This will be cramped, and my ability to cook will be limited to pretty much nice days only (but I can use the stove).  It also means that I have to recharge the Jackery every day, since everything will be running off it.  This means that if I go out to visit Aunt for a weekend, I would still have to bring it in and charge it every day, maybe every other day.  This also means that the fridge will be off for a couple of hours every day, which doesn't bode well for its contents (I have already noticed that things like milk don't last as long in the mini-fridge with it plugged in full time).  It also means that the truck will be completely packed like a sardine can for the foreseeable future.  

Before the site work:
  • Build prototype cap/camper (or at least move it)
  • Empty slab.  Get the grill, storage binclotheslinebug zapper, and other junk off the slab.  
  • Replace tires on tiny home trailer
  • Determine where to and move carport
    • Double up the studs
    • Wall Bracing
    • Install skids
    • Install cross members
    • Drag to new location
  • Build kitchenette for the truck camper
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Dishwasher
    • Water Heater
  • Finish prepping/moving the house
    • Pack Totes
    • Pack Food
    • Remove washer
    • Remove TV
    • Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water
    • Bleach the drains
    • Drain the hot water heater and pressure tank.
    • Cut off drain line and plug/cap it.  
    • Cut supply lines and cap them.
    • Temporarily move futon, laptop, fridge, microwave, stove, etc.
    • Disconnect electric for carport and shed.  
    • Fill up tires
    • Disconnect the electric
    • Remove the blocking.  
    • Attach to truck and move house to parking spot
    • Refill traps from bucket.  
  • Fix generator again.

3 comments:

  1. I would not be the only one with a fridge in my office, I don't think it would be a problem. They don't want us to have them, but I would make sure that they don't see it being installed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alternatively, we have a giant drink cooler (the same one I used when I lost power for a few days) and I already have that portable cooler in my office set to freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something else I can consider is a hybrid approach: Keep my food in the fridge at work, and keep the fridge in the truck. Only run the fridge in the truck if I am going to need to transport food back and forth, like if I am planning on cooking something at home. It means I won't have to run the Jackery excessively, but I can still cook full meals at home if I want. It does mean that the truck will be packed though, which it might be anyways because I don't have anywhere else to store that stuff.

    ReplyDelete