Monday, May 15, 2023

Lots of little things.

I went our for a walk on Friday at lunch (plus a little longer, it was nice), and took a couple of pictures.  



After work, I didn't do much on Friday other than my typical shopping.  I will definitely have to keep an eye on freezer space when I travel.  I had to eat a pint of ice cream that I picked up because it wouldn't fit.


Saturday started off by replacing the next tire.  The next one is in my truck to be dropped off at Bob's today.  The process goes a lot faster and smoother when you know what you need to do.  It only took an hour to change this one.  Most of that time was spent getting chewed on by black flies deflating tires.  Turns out this tire was still full, it had about 40PSI in it. 


Since I have packed the sound system, I have switched to my little bluetooth speaker, so I could at least listen to music as I swatted the bugs.  It is actually quite nice to have a speaker with me while I am out working on a project.  


A thought that crossed my mind when I was deflating tires: my floor jack is a 3-ton unit, and it lifted pretty much the entire heavier side (all the water and cabinets are on this side) of the house with ease; you can see that even the other stands are off.  Kind of makes me think that I might have grossly overestimated the weight of the house.  I guesstimated it at 8000-10000lbs, which while possible with a 3 ton jack, it didn't feel heavier than lifting a car when I was jacking it up.


But that tire is replaced.  Only one more to go.  Then maybe a spare.


I then had to go pick up my laundry.  I found a few socks that went for a ride, like this one hiding out under the tongue.  


I also cleaned out the lint filters (more than just emptying them) for hopefully the last time until I am in the new house.  I only clean them every couple of months, I typically only empty them until the screens start to get plugged up.  I did tear the rubber flapper thing, but hopefully that isn't a big deal.


After that I did some prep work for the closet move.  In addition to some stuff in the house that was ready to go up, I finally got around to moving all that lumber I forgot out of the carport.


As I went to move the closet, I found a couple of old relics.  


The closet is now out though.  I think I still have room for the pantry next to it.



I might want to glue and see if I can squeeze the warp out, it looks like one of my laminated boards is starting to curl a bit.  I was intending to use it as a coat closet in the new house, so I will take a deeper look into it at some point.


I also had a fatality.  My moving blanket got caught on the wheel as I was moving the closet.  It didn't survive the event.  Still, it served me well for being a Harbor Freight freebie.  I might just pull a Heather and duck tape it until I have finished moving, then throw it away.


The only other thing I did was figure out the plan for moving the carport.  There is really only one potential location for it. The number of (close to) flat spots that are big enough for 12'x20' are few in number.


Here is the plan: double up the studs I will be installing crossmembers on (then install the crossmembers), install skids to drag it on that I don't care if they get destroyed.  Install bracing along the walls to make them more rigid, lift the outermost crossmember with the tractor and drag.  By crossmember I mean 12' boards that go width wise across it to keep the sides from splaying out.

I plan to use the existing boards it is sitting on as skids.


After making some tacos, I went out and picked up the lumber I would need.  I got to see a pretty sunset on the way there.  Unfortunately this was the only picture that only kinda came out.  There was an obnoxious amount of traffic out so I couldn't stop and get a better one.  


While the cost of a 2x4 has largely returned to normal, the larger stuff stuff is still pretty expensive.  This was over $100 of lumber.  It didn't help that the only 2x10 or larger available in 12' lengths was fir, not white pine.

Sunday morning I unloaded the lumber.  


I also realized that I had incorrectly assumed that I had 8' 2x4 boards.  I have a bunch of 6' boards that I thought were long enough to be studs, but they aren't.  I only had 1 so I ended up grabbing some 12' 2x4 boards I had instead.  It seems a bit wasteful, but I had no plans for them anyways.  They were originally bought for king studs in the shed when I installed the windows, but I ended up not needing them; the windows fit perfectly(ish) between two studs without needing to install new kings.


I also got the last window of the cap installed, the one broken in the corner.  In theory I could put it on the truck at this point, all that is left is the back window, which I am still undecided on how to make work with my weirdo shaped tailgate.



It wasn't quite dry enough yet to mow, my last big objective for the weekend, so I went and finished filling my contractor bag with stuff.  I decided to attack the mini pile of stuff in front of the big pile.  More of the yard has now been reclaimed and after I hit it with the grading blade to smooth it out, will be mowable.  


After that, it was mowing time.  The tractor started.  Unhappily, but it started, I didn't need to charge the battery or anything, which was a relief.


I realized as I was mowing that I never cleared the brush out of the far back.  Oops.  I forgot all about it.


The yard is mowed, other than the side where the power work is being done.  


I also packed a bit more of the kitchen, things like the kitchenaid which I don't need anymore.  I ground up the last of the meat for tacos the night before.  Plus a tote of generic stuff that had been missed or didn't fit when I packed up that area.


I still had some time left in the day, so I decided to get the pantry ready to move.  I had expected to need to do a pantry challenge or something, but when I thought about it, I really didn't.  Everything that is open in the kitchen was empty.  That is most of the cabinets and drawers.


It didn't take long to empty off the pantry.  Though I did have some scarily outdated stuff in there, including some that expired in 2017.


I even cleaned it too.  It was surprisingly dusty and grimy.  This was a brand new swiffer pad.


I will take it out tonight probably.  The last thing I did was replace the insoles in my shoes.  They were a bit overdue.  Smell better too.



Something I noticed as I was packing last night; the trailer seems to shake a bit more as I have been replacing the wheels.  While the tires were on the ground before, I had lifted it off the suspension so that they weren't really holding much.  At least that is how it was before the jack stand debacle where Harbor Freight recalled the jack stands I had used, then recalled the replacements.  Apparently when I replaced the jack stands with 4x4, I didn't lift the suspension as much or something though.  It may also be affected by the fact that I have removed a bunch of weight from the house, so maybe the house is now light enough that the suspension isn't immediately flattened or something.  But no, it isn't a T-Rex.  


A couple of odds and ends: I packed the heater a few days ago, but I might want it this week.  We have a couple of nights where we are supposed to get below freezing.  It was chilly this morning.  Hopefully the freeze we are supposed to get on Wednesday night will kill the bugs though. 


My glasses met an unfortunate end last night.  My other backups are packed somewhere, so I just ordered another pair.  They are only 20 bucks, and these ones aren't badly broken.  I will just glue it back together with some super glue and wait for the new ones to come in.  


This means moving the carport is now in progress; effectively everything is in progress at this point.  Some of them are down to the last bits though.

Before the site work:
  • Build prototype cap/camper
  • Empty slab.  Get the grill, storage binclotheslinebug zapper, and other junk off the slab.  
  • Replace tires on tiny home trailer
  • Determine where to and move carport
  • Build kitchenette for the truck camper
  • Get rid of unneeded appliances (propane, stove, fridge, water heater)
    • Stove
    • Fridge
    • Dishwasher
    • Water Heater
  • Finish packing up house
  • Move house to parking spot.  Plug septic.
  • Fix generator again.

1 comment:

  1. Nylon thread will do a much better job than duck tape- just an FYI

    ReplyDelete