Monday, September 17, 2018

Premature end to electric load testing.

I went up with Barry at lunch today to start doing some load testing on the electric.  I wanted a second person there just in case.  It turned out that you seemingly can't backfeed through a GFCI outlet, so I ended up backfeeding through the dining room circuit.  I tested the fridge circuit and when I went to move on to the next circuit, and all my power died.  I determined that it was dead at the pole, putting a premature end to my plans for testing the circuits while I had Barry up there. 

I went up after work to try to diagnose the issue (bringing up a multimeter from work, mine was in the toolbox that was stolen), and started poking the power down at the meter.  Despite being the sketchiest part of the electrical setup, the outlets on the pole ended up being the culprit.  I didn't get a picture since I didn't have enough hands, but the box and the breakers all had 120V on them, but even with the breakers on, I only got 1.9V at the outlet.  Not enough to run anything.  The outlet is toast.


Barry seemed willing to help me install a new box on the outside, which I might take him up on.  Even though it still seems to work, I have my concerns about its ability to provide 100A through the corroded power plane.

I kinda need to fix this soon, since I now only have power via the generator.

No comments:

Post a Comment