Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Windows picked up and finally square.

The frame got wet, very wet last night.  It stormed heavily and the rain was pretty constant all night.  So much for that 10% chance of showers.  It was decent this afternoon though, and I worked through sunset.

I started the work today by picking up the windows.  None of them rattle, so I hope they are all intact.


They take up a lot of space.  My shed is now filling up with things to be installed.  You got the windows on the left, the door, the fridge and the stove on the right.


The big news for today though is I got the Frame all squared up.  I had to torque it a bit, but everything is now level in each direction.  Because I didn't have any help, I ended up strapping it and ratcheting it straight.


I put corner braces in.  These should be sufficient to hold it square.  I put one in each the X and Y axis.  It was already square in the Z axis.  They will be removed once the roofing is complete, which should be sufficient to hold it square.


I also had a problem with the long walls sagging out.  I fixed that right up too.


While not perfect, I started attaching the rafters.  I got the slab side almost complete (all except the last one on the road side).  All of them are within an eighth inch of flush, with none of them overhanging.  I haven't gotten the hurricane ties on yet, but am putting a screw in the ends and into the top plate.  I used a screw instead of toenailing in framing nails because from my experience when you toenail something in it will shift and is more likely to split.  I will be installing the ties at a later date, but that can be done once the roof is on.


I got a little bit of free time while waiting for things to compile at work, and made a rough updated floorplan sketch with the windows and with the extra length removed.  One thing I don't like is the stove is now right next to my desk, which seems like a bad idea.  I might put the small closet back in and take the extra length off the long closet.  I really ought to take a foot or two out of the desk/TV blocks, but I can't unless I want to downsize the TV or lose a monitor, neither of which are appealing.  I suppose I could try going vertical with the monitors, but I honestly don't know how much I would like that, and if I make the space too small, there is no going back if I don't like it.


I only checked off one item from the list, but most importantly it removes the asterisks from the roofing parts of the to-do list, and leaves only a couple of things before it is weather tight.  I need to finish screwing the rafters in and then it is just installing the sheathing and the tar paper.  I have noticed that I appear to have misplaced (and probably cut up for other framing) the last two rafters that I hadn't installed.  Kind of annoying.

  1. Square up the corners
  2. Attach ceiling beams
  3. Secure rafters and beams with hurricane ties
  4. Attach the subflooring to the trailer frame.
  5. *Sheathe the roof
  6. *Install tar paper to make the roof watertight.
  7. Install window framing.
  8. *Tyvek wrap.
  9. *Install roof.
  10. *Install siding.  This includes all flashing.
  11. *Install attic vent and AAV (AAV = air access valve for the plumbing).
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Run the rough electric.
  14. *Install rodent barrier.
  15. *Install insulation.
  16. *Install flooring.
  17. *Install ceiling and attic insulation.
  18. *Install light fixtures.
  19. *Install paneling
  20. *Complete electrical and plumbing.
  21. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).
  22. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

2 comments:

  1. I actually just had a thought: the desk and TV width was based solely on the width of my monitors and my TV. I can put the TV on the wall above the monitors. That should enable me to shave it down to 5.5-6', instead of the 6.5 that is there. I get my closet back, and all I lose is some entertainment center space that I don't use much anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you get some FREE wood with the window boxes! :) Good Idea for the TV, too...

    ReplyDelete