Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Got out of work late, not much done.

I got out of work even later today than yesterday, so I didn't get much time to do anything up there today.

Tim recently replaced one of his bathroom doors, so I snagged the old one.  It is really rough, but if push comes to shove it is usable.  If I do buy new ones I can just toss it on the burn pile.


I did have enough time to get the rest of the staples put in. on the wrap.  It is now much more firmly secured.


I started to do more work on the wiring as well, but it was getting dark, and I don't have any lights in there yet.


Something I came across when I was looking up the power requirements for my heat pump was that it was 3,500 BTU strip heat.  I originally thought it was 3,500W (1 W = 3.4 BTU) so I need to rethink my heating strategy.  Unfortunately the only alternatives I have found are ridiculously oversized for the tiny home (in the range of 20,000+ BTU).  When it is operating in heat pump mode, it will be more than sufficient, but when the cold sets in, it won't be enough.  I also looked at split units, but those are very expensive.  I think what I might do instead is mount a space heater above the bathroom and laundry room doors.  I have a ceiling fan in the dining room which should help equalize the temperatures, and run them both during the cold winter months.  I don't really like the plan, but it will work and won't break the bank.

There hasn't been any movement on the to-do list, but I am hoping to pick up the siding tomorrow.  I am looking at 3/8 MDF based T1-11, but am not sure if I trust that to hold everything square.  If it is significantly lighter than the thicker (5/8) CDX I might give it a shot.  I would like something thicker, but that much 5/8 T1-11 is nearly a thousand pounds.  It is about 55-60 lbs per sheet, and I need 17 sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment