Sunday, August 27, 2017

Weather tight.

Today was another gorgeous day.  I didn't spend it sleeping in either.  It was very productive too.  I finished the strapping, so the attachment of the subflooring to the frame is complete.  I put in the mystery missing rafters as well.  I didn't take any pictures until the end so it was taken from underneath.


Matt came up, and we completed the roof sheathing.  As I expected, I bought one sheet too much plywood.  Oh well.


Afterwards I pretty much sent him up on the roof (he weighs half of what I do) with a roll of tar paper and a staple gun, and let him go to town on it.  He did a really nice job on it.


Tim came up and visited on his way back from dropping his son off at college, and recommended that I install the siding to firm up the walls  before I install the window framing.  My braces weren't cutting it nor were they holding it square under pressure; it wobbled a lot with Matt on the roof.  After the shock of Tim recommending something nonstandard wore off I realized he was right (as usual).  I do have all the studs marked though for cutting when their time comes.  I couldn't really get a picture of that though.

While I waited for Matt to finish up the tar paper I started doing a little wiring.  I got three of them roughed in.  I have the tacks to hold them up to the rafters, but I haven't put them in yet.


In case the last picture didn't spoil it, the reason I don't have pictures of the inside work (and others are from underneath) is because we also got the Tyvek wrap up (this isn't Tyvek, it is a cheaper brand.  House wrap is a lot more expensive than I thought)  Towards the end, we had to ration staples, since my staple gun was running out of ammo.  I will have to put more in, but that isn't a big deal, this should hold just fine.


So the outside is now completely water tight.  It isn't perfectly tight since I used staples instead of the special nails with plastic washers for the wrap and the tar paper, but it is plenty close enough for me.

Matt got bored so he folded my tarps while I was grilling.  He also brought up some goodies: a spare tote (a very nice one too), some hard drives, and there is a box of Cat6 cable as well.  I won't be running cables in the tiny home (everything on Ethernet is in the same spot) but I can use it to make custom length cables to keep the inevitable wiring disaster to a minimum.  my spool of cable ran out ages ago.


I also have a ton of spare tar paper and house wrap.  It looks like we only used about half of each of them.


That checked multiple items off the to-do list, and everything went smooth enough that we even got my wishful thinking parts done.  Matt should come up more often...  A lot of the dependencies are removed as well now.  The items in green have been started.
  1. Square up the corners
  2. Attach ceiling beams
  3. Secure rafters and beams with hurricane ties
  4. Attach the subflooring to the trailer frame.
  5. Sheathe the roof
  6. Install tar paper to make the roof watertight.
  7. *Install window framing.   *10
  8. Tyvek wrap.
  9. Install roof.
  10. Install siding.  This includes all flashing.
  11. *Install attic vent and AAV (AAV = air access valve for the plumbing). *10
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Run the rough electric.
  14. Install rodent barrier.
  15. *Install insulation.  *10
  16. *Install flooring.  *15
  17. *Install ceiling and attic insulation. *13
  18. *Install light fixtures.  *17
  19. *Install paneling  *13, 15
  20. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *19
  21. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).  *16, 19
  22. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

1 comment: