Sunday, August 6, 2017

Prep work for next batch of nice weather complete.

The tarping actually worked.  Despite the high winds today (which is why I didn't take anything down) everything was still there and it was all dry on the inside.


I also got all the boards measured for the ceiling beams.  I will cut them next time I fire everything up.  Yesterday I spent making more maps for the town, since I am still on the docket for Monday, even though I can't get my permit on Monday.  Hopefully I have enough.

Today was a really really nice day to be outside.  It struggled to reach 70, and was sunny but windy.  The wind prevented me from taking anything off since it would have been impossible for me to put the tarps back up, especially alone.  Instead I decided to pick out windows.
All the windows selected were the same series.  I still have to consider the living room window, since from what I have read, taking a normal double hung and mounting it sideways isn't a terribly good idea.  The springs tend to make it difficult to close (they use springs to make them easier to open) which expect the weight of the window to be there, and it also won't drain right.  I will have to think on it some more, but I suspect I won't have much of a choice.
The smaller windows (kitchen and utility room)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Craftsman-23-75-in-x-35-25-in-70-Series-Pro-Double-Hung-White-Vinyl-Window-with-Buck-Frame-2436786/204814541

The larger one in the north wall.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Craftsman-29-75-in-x-41-25-in-70-Series-Pro-Double-Hung-Buck-Vinyl-Window-White-3042786PS/206727553

The largest one that I will be mounting sideways.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Craftsman-35-75-in-x-53-25-in-70-Series-Pro-Double-Hung-White-Vinyl-Window-with-Buck-Frame-3654786/204814617

They all look like this.


I also went up to Stoddard to look at the other property.  It is on a dirt road.


Power is likely more than 250 feet away.  I found this near the end of the road, but I still need to put this completely across the other guy's lot.  It is two properties away.


It is similar kind of land to Sullivan, very rocky.  I would have to get a septic guy up there to determine the feasibility of a septic system.  All the homes in the immediate area have septics and are the same kind of soil, so I am guessing it isn't impossible, but want to make sure it isn't a 40 grand adventure because of blasting and large bulldozers and the like.


The ad said it had a driveway roughed in.  What I think they meant is that there is a way to get back in there where you don't have to run over a tree.  There was no driveway at all that I could find to the lot.  The driveway turns to the right, which is my neighbors driveway, there isn't much that continues on into the woods, which is the land I would be purchasing.


Despite all that though, it isn't all doom and gloom.  Stoddard has no size requirements, and based on the kinds of houses I saw won't care if it isn't on a full perimeter foundation.  In addition, I also found out that Mike Kelley, one of my coworkers who lives on the next road over from there, is the president of the homeowners association that runs the place, so I have an in already.  Something to keep in mind.  I only intend to investigate this further if Sullivan should fall through.

2 comments:

  1. how's the market look to sell the sullivan place?? LMAO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhh, it will probably take a couple of years. Since this place would be purchased with cash though, it isn't a big deal.

      Delete