Sunday, August 13, 2017

Roof sheathing cut, floor fastening begun.

Not a big update, but I did manage to get some stuff done today.  The pictures are kind of crappy since I forgot my camera.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it, but I got the hurricane ties for the subflooring to prevent it from lifting all set up, I just need bolts to put through the frame, which I hope to finish tomorrow.  This took much longer than expected, since I had to grind away the foam in most places, paint it, and wait for it dry.  I have been concerned about their lateral strength, and am considering putting some metal cabling in as well on the cross beams to help prevent side to side shifting.

I also got the plywood cut for the sheathing.  It is very difficult to get plywood in and out while it is tarped up, but I eventually figured it out.  I am not sure if this is all I will need (I knew 8 sheets would cover most of the roof, but I don't think it will cover all of it) but it is more than enough to get started.


I had an unfortunate casualty when cutting.  I went a little too far before moving the brace.  It was one of the boards I hadn't cut yet for the king studs.  It is still usable, just annoying.  The saw wasn't set deep enough to go all the way through it either.  On a positive note, the circular saw I got from Greg works much better than my old one, though it still has problems.  The blade gets stuck very easily for example.


There hasn't been any movement on the to-do list.
  1. Square up the corners
  2. *Attach ceiling beams
  3. *Secure rafters and beams with hurricane ties
  4. Attach the subflooring to the trailer frame.
  5. *Sheathe the roof
  6. *Install tar paper to make the roof watertight.
  7. Install window framing.
  8. *Tyvek wrap.
  9. *Install roof.
  10. *Install siding.  This includes all flashing.
  11. *Install attic vent and AAV (AAV = air access valve for the plumbing).
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Run the rough electric.
  14. *Install rodent barrier.
  15. *Install insulation.
  16. *Install flooring.
  17. *Install ceiling and attic insulation.
  18. *Install light fixtures.
  19. *Install paneling
  20. *Complete electrical and plumbing.
  21. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).
  22. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.
I also did some poking around online on wiring, and it turns out 12awg wire is substantially cheaper than 10awg wire, so I will likely only get 10awg for where it is needed, notably the heat pump and appliance ports.  I am still on the fence as to whether or not I want to put the extra 240V wiring in that I won't be using, but will allow future owners to install an electric stove and a full size dryer.  it won't be hard to do it now, but it is time and money for something I will never use.

Hopefully the driveway inspection will be quick tomorrow so I can get some more work done afterwards.  This would have been an ideal time to do the roofing since I have a stretch of four days with no rain, but I don't want to untarp it with the town coming up.  The less they see the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment