Thursday, August 10, 2017

Boards cut, one mistake identified.

So I finally had a nice day and cut everything I had piling up.  It really was a lot of boards.  It took me an hour and a half to get everything cut.


I didn't cut the king studs.  I wasn't sure how many I am going to need.  They are all marked, so if I need them it is a quick chop.


All the boards are now divided into their respective window.


The mistake is that if you blow that picture up, you might notice is a board short.  In the end I ended up with an extra 35" board, and was short one 40" board.  Fortunately I have an old 2x4 in the shed that I can use to cut the last piece.  It is warped on one end, but there is enough usable board That I am not too concerned.


What I think happened is that since I was cutting the 40" pieces out of the worst boards (they have the most scrap) on several of them, I cut 5" off the end and then did the two 40s, so I could cut out as many of the defects as possible.  It looks like at one point I measured out and cut off 5", but didn't make the next mark at 45...

Despite not being a lot of wind, apparently the sawdust carried quite well today.  Dammit.  Now I have a film of sawdust all throughout my car, as if it wasn't dusty and dirty enough.


On a more interesting note, it appears that my car has fixed itself.  Late last week, I noticed that it was making a weird noise and shaking a little when I stepped into it.  So it was supposed to go in today to get looked at, and on my way into work today, there was a loud bang and something that looked like the heat shielding off my catalytic converter went rolling into the other lane.  The noise and shaking promptly went away.  I am a little surprised that the heat shielding was able to cause such a problem, but the mechanic looked at it anyways and said nothing appeared damaged, and there was nothing close enough to the catalytic converter to be worried about getting hotter.  I will just have to make sure I don't park my car in any fields.  It is hard to believe that the car is already almost 7 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment