Saturday, August 22, 2020

Roof up but not completed.

Friday I took off a little early.  I got the bottom layer of roofing installed.  Some of the pieces needed a hand to stay in place, but I got the bottom row of screws in all the pieces.  I know this is not typically how you would install roofing (more on that later).


I also moved the supports to add additional bracing.  They will be more effective this way. 


I also picked up a outdoor shower thing because it was cheap and I was curious how well they work.  In addition, it gives me a better idea of water consumption for showering.  This sack holds 5 gallons, it wasn't completely full when I started, and still had a gallon or so left in it when I was done.  It wasn't a nice shower, but it was adequate.  If I cut my hair (it is part way down my back now) I could cut the water consumption even more from the approximately 3 gallons this took.  That is good data to have when it comes to sizing tanks in the camper.  My biggest gripe was that I didn't have a good way to hang it 10 feet in the air in the back yard (so I am not visible from the road).  This post was 8' and it wasn't tall enough. 


Fortunately the rain that wasn't supposed to happen on Friday missed to the north.


After that I went and did my weekly shopping.  I got to see a pretty sunset on the way into town.  These were the best pictures I got, my phone doesn't do sunsets well, especially while driving. 




This morning things weren't as nice as they were supposed to be (Partly cloudy my behind).  Fortunately I was proactive and put the chop saw under the roofing that was installed.


I decided not to climb up the roof in this.  Given that I am in general terrified of walking on a roof (kind of an odd thing I know given my propensity to build) I elected not to try to walk on wet metal.  For the record, I am not terrified of heights, I can walk around the ravine at Watkin's Glen for example without any issue right up to the very edge, and that is a much further drop than the 7' off the short side of the roof. 




When the rain continued to get heavier I packed it in for a while.  As a result, I didn't get the roof completed today.


Seeing the red, I went out and put some extra protection on the saw. 


Just in the nick of time too. 


At least the lower portion of the roof did its job.


A little bit after lunch, I went out and took a look and everything had dried off, so I went and worked on the roof a bit.  I rigged up a helper to get on the roof, so I am not pushing sideways on the step ladder trying to get on the roof.  It would really suck for the ladder to fall over and then I am stuck on the roof.


Part of the reason I don't like walking on roofs.  Even on the furring strip where there is extra support, I bent part of the roofing.  This was the only case of damage though, normally metal roofing is plenty strong to hold.  Either that or I am too fat...


I got all the screws put in for the bottom row of metal sheets and took a break.  It was really hot up on a dark green roof in the sunlight.  It looks good from underneath though.


After taking a break I put the top row on.  I put them on from the top where it was much easier.  They are all on, though they aren't all screwed in, I ran out of time and I stopped when I started to feel dew in the air.




Unfortunately the way I installed them was not the "correct" way.  I installed them this way because of time and because I was doing it alone.  Ideally, you would complete each piece before doing the next.  Installing the metal that way alone more than doubles (possibly more than triples) how long it takes to install it though.  However, you don't end up with this issue.


A more zoomed in version with a red line highlighting the issue.  Because I put the panels on on the edge first, the panels weren't completely flattened.  The panels flatten as you screw them in going across.  That is why you normally do one panel completely before putting the next one on, it ensures every panel is flat and flush.  What happened here is the bottom of the panels were fixed, but the metal still had a little natural curl in it.  so the panels eventually twisted a little.  This problem was compounded by the fact that I did the top the same way, but the top didn't naturally curl the same as the bottom, so the ridges in the middle don't line up perfectly.  It isn't right, but it shouldn't cause problems with snow shedding though.  It will just make the rest of the screwing in a lot more painful, there are a few places more screws will be necessary to minimize having parts of the roof bowed up.


I had hoped to finish the roof today, and spend tomorrow picking up the remaining trash in the yards so I can get rid of the dumpster.  The dumpster is really starting to stink, and it is preventing me from getting the car out and inspected, but I will have to finish the roofing tomorrow.  It is unfortunately supposed to be even hotter tomorrow though, so it will suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment