Monday, August 10, 2020

Carport starting to take shape.

Matt came out yesterday and I put him to work.  Before he came out I got the sitework finished (or so I thought, more on that in a bit).


I didn't have enough time to have everything ready before he got here, so the first thing we had to do was assemble the new saw and stand.  Having the stops made cutting the studs a lot faster.


After that, it was all pretty typical wall assembly.  The shorter wall went pretty quick.


I think it might be time for a new nailer too.  My old one was jamming a lot.  I will have to go pick up nails when I get everything finished.


Unfortunately I didn't buy enough PT for all the bottom plates (not sure how I missed a wall).  Matt worked on the tall wall while I made a Home Depot run.  Unfortunately the studs for the taller wall were taller than the arms on the stand would reach, so he had to measure and cut them all by hand.


At that point, I started cutting rafters (kind of a painful manual process) and Matt installed all the hurricane ties.  Once they were all installed, we got the two walls standing.  They were heavy.


Unfortunately the noob who leveled the spot didn't measure the level very well, so some trenching was required as we got the walls lined up where they needed to go. 


I assisted the other side by putting an extra board underneath it.


We got all the rafters I had gotten cut installed before Matt left.  It is starting to take shape. 




The rafters were cut better this time than they were on the shed too.  The shed most of the birdsmouth cuts didn't line up.  So far all these have.


I was pretty wiped when Matt left so I just did some cleanup.  The saw folds up nicely, though it is quite large.


I got most of the pile of wood covered but the tarp wasn't quite big enough. It rained on us yesterday, and only in Sullivan according to the radar.


I haven't come up with a solution for this yet.  Apparently the tub was too cheap and not rated for outdoor storage.  Fortunately the screws were fine. 


One thing I forgot about too: the door for the dumpster was open.  With the walls standing, the dumpster can no longer close.  Oops.  They will have fun when they pick up the dumpster, since they will have to pull it onto the truck before closing it.  I hope everything doesn't slide out when they do that, I have never seen one loaded onto a truck.


I couldn't find my square, so I will go pick one up this afternoon, and check that the walls are perfectly lined up.  I think the far wall needs to go towards the back a couple of inches, but want to be sure that the rafters are perfectly perpendicular to the walls.  Kudos to Matt for the pictures, I didn't have my phone on me most of the day due to my propensity to break things in my pocket.

4 comments:

  1. If you have a chain, hook it to the front of the roll-off and drag it forward enough to close the door. The angle they are pulled up on to the truck will dump a lot of what is in there, and they probably WON'T clean it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess that Noob needs to be fired? LOL

    ReplyDelete