Saturday, August 15, 2020

Not as productive as hoped, but really nice day.

Today I started with the bracing between the rafters.  A lot of them warped after sitting outside for a few days. 


Most of them pulled back reasonably straight.  This was one of the worst offenders.  Not too bad now.


A few of them still are doing the wave though.


When I went to cut them, I got bit by the Harbor Freight curse.  One of the legs on the new stand won't fold anymore, the spring in the button broke the second time I went to use it.  There is another button that didn't pop back out properly as well which I haven't tinkered with.  Sigh


I then went and drew up the plans for the furring strips.  I didn't buy nearly enough furring strips it turns out, I bought enough for 6 strips at 20' long.  "Standard" is a set of furring strips every 2 feet though, which is 8, and they also need to be 21'; the rafters are 20, but the roof itself is 7 sheets at 3' apiece.  D'oh.  I decided to do 7 rows.


Today's lesson learned: mark the rafters before you install them.  I probably went up the ladder over a hundred times today, and it took hours to mark all the furring strips.  It would have only taken a few seconds to do the marking before they were installed.  Oh well.  Once they were marked, I got the first few rows of them installed.  The last row in the picture isn't nailed in yet. 




It was gorgeous out today, and I even opened up.  Tomorrow is supposed to be similar, so I should be able to finish up the furring strips.  I will probably install some of the siding before doing the roof though so make the structure more rigid.  As it is right now I wouldn't want to crawl on it, the building sways quite a bit.  The roof is solid, but that is it at the moment, the walls still wobble a little bit



1 comment:

  1. Measure twice cut once may cover your butt on the 100's of times up and down the ladder thing?

    ReplyDelete