Monday, August 13, 2018

Surprise... More rain.

I got a bit of a late start today despite getting up at a quasi reasonable time, I didn't get up there until early afternoon (I really didn't think I was on the phone for over 2.5 hours this morning, but the log says it was).  It naturally started raining on my way up, but it tapered off and I got a little bit of cutting done in between the spurts of rain.

I picked up the wood for the electric box.  I ended up getting cedar since it was actually cheaper than pine.  The only pine that they carry in a 1x6 is the clear wood for trim.  I don't mind the occasional knot in the wood, it gives it character as long as it isn't a structural issue.  So I got some cedar boards.


I also figured out that my chop saw isn't big enough for a 6" board.  Perhaps someday I will upgrade the saw. 


I got everything cut by hand with the circular saw.  This is how it is going to look.  There is intentionally no top piece.  I may someday put a door on it, but for now I am not intending to.  The panel sits inside the box


I started to get it all hung on the wall. 


Put the box up to it and realized I made a grave error.  You may notice that there is no lip on the right hand side.


That would be because I hosed up the placement of the cutout for the wires.  They were supposed to be 1.25 inches from the edge, but I measured in from the wrong side.


It is a reasonably simple fix, just extend the hole over, and the current hole will be covered by the panel itself, but it is still annoying.  By the time I get it right I will have three sets of holes from the brad nails I am putting in it.  Oh well.  The cedar was cheaper, but it still was 25 dollars of lumber, so I probably won't buy another set.  This is purely aesthetic, I can easily hang the box near the ceiling without it, but one the box is installed, there is no going back (at least easily). 

At that point I was mildly flustered so I went and started to cut pieces for the sawhorses, and then realized that the bill of materials for the plans I downloaded was both wrong and only for a single sawhorse.  I stopped on my way home and got more lumber, but it started raining when I got out of Home Depot (for the second time today) and I just went home.  It is still in the car, I will finish it tomorrow if I get dry enough weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment