Sunday, August 19, 2018

Big update.

I forgot my phone yesterday, so I had to take the pictures this morning.  Yesterday was a miserable day.  I spent more time moving things inside and then outside as the sprinkles started and stopped than I did getting things done it seemed. 

I did manage to get things done though.  The last piece of paneling is in.


I also got the wiring for the bathroom light and the laundry room installed.  I didn't have a box for the laundry room light to finish it though.


The shortened cap is installed.


I also started on the plumbing.  Got the standpipe cut off (admittedly rather poorly though) and made a list of what pieces I need to finish it.


I also got the circuit box installed.


There is only one problem with the circuit box though:  I never ran a ground wire, only the three supply wires.  This unfortunately means that I have to rip off the paneling and install the wire.  The NEC (National Electric Code) says that 8 gauge copper is sufficient for 100A service, but I already have some 6 gauge copper for a grounding strap for the gas lines that I never installed (it was too short and I didn't put the extra T and whatnot in the front), so I will likely use that.  Still disheartening. 

Today was also a mildly disappointing day.  I actually got up early to try to get through Home Depot before the mob came.  I had debated doing it the night before, and thankfully didn't get around to it since it rained last night.  Unfortunately though, they were restocking the plywood aisle and I had to wait for the forklift to clear out, and that was enough time that I missed the early window.  I picked up a few missing pieces from yesterday, and also the ceiling stuff. 

I started off with painting.  At least briefly.  It almost made the first coat.  Unfortunately this is the handle to my broom (a good chunk of the reason it didn't survive...). 


I did manage to get the first coat on though.  I got all 6 pieces out so that I could do them all at once.  I actually found 6 places to put stuff: the dryer, lawn mower, sawhorses, patio table, tonneau cover, and one in the truck bed. 




At that point I was going to start working on the electric, and realized that the wire is in the car, so I made a trip home.  I also stopped at Home Depot again, I needed another gallon (400 square feet coverage my ass) and I replaced the handle. 

After doing the second coat, I decided to work on the plumbing instead (go figure...).  I got everything set up to finish the plumbing, but I need a step ladder (my big one won't fit inside) since I need to fix the rather terrible cut.  It is the venting and I could probably get away with it the way it is, but would rather do it right.  It wasn't really intentional, but I ended up making a reverse p-trap, which is actually good since it means that if moisture does come in the wall vent, it won't get inside the plumbing system.  The picture is upside down compared to how it will be installed.


After that I moved on to the inside wall.  The plans for it are all done.  A little scant on details, but I know what they are. 


I got all the pieces cut for the front wall, which is the most important one. 


Unfortunately with everything else having paneling on it that was painted and drying, I cut them on my car hood.  Not a good plan.


I also went and located the grounding rod.  I knew I had seen one, so this is mostly just for reference for me so I can find it.


I then started to pick up.  Unfortunately the platform I have on the dryer wasn't ocmpletely dried out from yesterday's rain.  The piece of ceiling that was on their suffered for it.  Hopefully it isn't enough moisture to cause any problems.


The look nice.  Except for where the trees or bugs decided to be a pain.  I still have just over a quarter gallon left for touch up work though.


This does present a problem though.  The only place inside to put it covers where the interior wall is going.  I need the interior wall in to finish the ceiling.  I think I need to finish the electric and clear out the other half of the house...


At that point, it was getting late and dark inside, so I decided to work on the sawhorses until I ran completely out of light.  I got most of one completed. 


Even though the support in between the legs isn't installed yet, they will hold plenty of weight.  I sat on it, even incomplete.  Thus far I would say my modifications to Tim's design were a success.  I removed some wood, didn't use pressure treated lumber, and shortened them a little in a couple of dimensions to make them lighter and easier to use.  When they are stacked, I almost can't lift the pair that Tim built me.  But on the other hand, you can park a car on them...


It has been a while, but there are some updates to the checklist.  The last of the lights is in and the paneling is done.  The interior wall, electrical and plumbing, and the ceiling are all in progress now. 
  1. Fix ruts in driveway.
  2. Put lights on the plow.
  3. Get the oil changed in the tractor.
  4. Get the tire chains installed and a weight installed on the back.
  5. Get the plastic installed
  6. Get the truck oil undercoated.
  7. Fix leaky underbelly.
  8. Get skirting installed.
  9. Find a way to run power that won't be damaged by snow/plow/snowblower.
  10. Find a way to prevent the snow pushing on the shed.
  11. Finish clearing off the slab.
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
  13. Install wall insulation.
  14. *Install flooring.  *12
  15. Install light fixtures.
  16. Install ceiling and attic insulation. *19
  17. *Install paneling  *13, 14
  18. *Install interior wall *14
  19. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *17, 18
  20. Install ceiling *19
  21. *Install final flooring (carpet/whatever).  *18, 19
  22. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

No comments:

Post a Comment