Sunday, August 26, 2018

More aggravation.

Today wasn't any better.  I did get everything around the electric panel put back together.  I used a lot of staples when I originally installed the paneling, and had to pull them all out, but it is back up.  The ceiling insulation is installed as well.


After that was done, I got the first piece of the ceiling cut.  Without thinking, I cut it on the top, since that was how I did all the paneling, less chance of things being mirrored or laid out wrong, and all the marks would be covered with trim.  That doesn't hold true with the ceiling though, the circular saw left marks the whole way.  I also discovered something else: the boards aren't an actual 4 foot by 8 foot.  Which means every single board will have to be trimmed in each direction.  That is rather annoying.


Then I tried to install it.  It didn't go well.  Even with the third hand.  I spent an hour trying to get it installed.  I tried the brace in the middle, which left the board dangerously close to breaking, and at the end the board was too floppy, it just fell off.  I almost got it when I split the difference, but with how floppy the board was, it would have been a crapshoot as to whether I lined it up correctly.  A second person will be required.  Especially since I won't have factory edges since I have to cut every board.


I have come to the conclusion that the brown pressboard was definitely the wrong choice.  Since I have painted it though, I can't return it.  Bummer.  Maybe it will be better when it is hung.

Next up I installed the shower fan.  I spent a little extra up from the cheapest to get a supposedly quiet one (only 2 sones instead of the normal 4).  It also bumps up to 70CFM from the bottom barrel of 50.  I don't really need the extra throughput though, the room is only 16 square feet...


I would have installed the outside portion of the vent, but unfortunately it started to rain on me.  It wasn't supposed to.  The wind was blowing in the right direction for my phone to work, and it looked like while it would be brief, they were popping up all over the place.

I cut it a little short and headed home at that point.  The landlord and the prospects (I actually work with their daughter) that are interested into moving into my apartment are visiting tomorrow to tour the place, and I still needed to do some cleaning before they arrive.  I also had to stop at Walmart to get a new broom, though I forgot that it was college move in day, so it was a zoo.

I did get a hold of the septic guy, and he didn't think September would be a problem, so I got the ball rolling on getting the design re-approved.  It'll cost me 400 bucks, but hopefully no more headache.

1 comment: