Monday, August 20, 2018

Round two on electric ready.

Today was mostly just peeling the layers apart.  The wiring is exposed.  It was admittedly easier than I expected.  Mostly just time consuming.


A quick inspection turned up that my clip didn't make it.  I was able to bend it back in shape, but it is pretty clear the wire is greater than the clip.


I picked up fancy new clamps to help.  Too bad they don't fit.  Two wires fit nicely, but not all three.


And the annoying part is that they are rated for 3x2 gauge.  I only have 2x2 gauge and a 4 gauge.  I probably wouldn't have been able to fit in the ground wire anyways though, so I will have to do two wires in each.  I looked for a larger one, but they went to single wire at the sizes larger than this one (only hold one 0 gauge for example).  Bummer.


At that point it was getting dark and I wanted to contemplate my options, so I turned to finishing the sawhorses.  They are both standing and I can sit on them.  The boards on the inside was intentional, them being so high up on the frame not so much. I installed the legs upside down.  Oops.


Having one set on the inside makes them stackable.


I still haven't installed the pieces on the side, but to be honest, they are rigid enough I am not sure I need to.  The design modifications were a success, I can curl both of them with one arm, so they aren't a huge nuisance to move around.  Being not pressure treated, I am not sure how long they will last, but I should get a few years out of them, more if I paint them. 

Getting back to the electric, I see a few options.  The first is to just run the wire and continue with the original plan, with the box on the wall.  This gives me more insulation behind the box.  I can move the supply wires up so that I won't have them sticking out of the wall, they would stick out directly into the box. 

Alternatively, I could go with the traditional installation, and embed it in the wall.  Dad mentioned a good idea that I could a piece of the foam board insulation behind it.  This hides all the wires, and looks cleaner.  I am starting to lean this way.  It will make the box a cold spot, but I could put a second door on it to cover the metal to keep from being too bad.

2 comments:

  1. No pictures of you standing on your saw horses to show how sturdy they are? That's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a picture of me sitting on them when I built the first one

      Delete