Monday, May 7, 2018

Shower took longer than expected, but is done.

I went out this morning to try to snag a grill, but despite the dude saying if the ad was still up, it was there, it was definitely not there.  Oh well.  I then stopped by Tim's and returned his hole saw.  It turns out Tim got a new grill from his in-laws, and wanted to rebuild his old one, but hasn't gotten around to it, so I can poach that one.  I will grab it later in the week. 

It was raining all day, which made working up there kind of miserable, but I at least got confirmation that the exterior light doesn't leak.


I stopped at Home Depot to grab the remaining pieces for the plumbing.  And then headed back when I realized I had the wrong gender on two of them.  Since I had already used one of the 5 pack, I can't return it either.  Oh well. 


I realized after a short bit that I don't actually know what is standard for installing a shower, and have never seen one taken apart.  So I am not sure if this is the generally accepted method for installing the pieces, but what I did was use a 1x3 across.


It is screwed into braces that are anchored into the wall stud.


It looks nice, and even though it isn't tied to prevent it from being pushed back, it is pretty solid.  Yes, it is intentionally not centered.


I decided to use the new jig saw to cut it since the mess would be more contained.  I have no cover outside anymore, so I had to do the cutting inside.  The new jig saw is leaps and bounds better than the old one.  The laser guide is off by about an 1/8" though, and it flings the sawdust up, which is really annoying.  It is made for right handed people, since the exit is on the right side. 


I used a similar tactic for the temperature selection and mixer valve, though I added pieces on the back to prevent it from moving at all. 


It took all afternoon until dusk, but the shower is now plumbed in.  The shower head was not taped and is only loosely on, since I will have to remove it to install the paneling.  As I said, I don't know if this type of installation is "standard" or not, but it seems to work, and is more than plenty solid. 




I even put up the nail plates for the pex.


Unfortunately I couldn't find any complete brass threaded elbows, and this one screwed on a little too easily for my taste, but we shall see if it leaks. 


I have all the pieces for the laundry, which I hope to do this week.  It is supposed to be nice most of the week, though I put off my days off until next week.  I might take a day and sneak out half day a couple of times this week, since the weather is supposed to be really nice. 

1 comment:

  1. for the record, I looked up the "standard" way of doing it and they normally put the board behind, but otherwise do the same thing. I considered doing that, but decided that I would rather have insulation behind to help prevent it from freezing if I go away during the winter. The R-value of pine is pretty bad, though lumber gives you insulation benefits not told by its R-Value.

    ReplyDelete