Monday, August 28, 2023

Picking things up and putting them down.

Friday I went and selected the furniture I am ordering.  I will be finalizing the order today.  This is the couch I am going with.  I am also getting a queen bed.


The other big news for Friday was that I now have propane.  I was a little surprised they were willing to put them in the back yard.


Everything in the house is now fully functional.  The stove lives.


When they hooked up the propane, they test fired the furnace.  I also found out that the furnace was installed wrong; you can't get the doors on it because it was installed too close to the wall.


I also finally got an HVAC quote.  $13,500 for a double mini split system.  That would be set up as 9kbtu in each bedroom, and a 12k btu for the living room and kitchen area.  It is for Samsung units, not Mitsubishi which are a bit more efficient, especially for heating in the winter, but at the present moment is the only offer on the table, so I will probably take it.

After the propane guys left, I had some other visitors.


The last thing I did Friday was that I moved the ziploc bags and stuff.  Wit hit on the door, it was hitting the fridge and the cabinet wouldn't open far enough to be useful.  Here is better, but still not great, there isn't enough clearance here to get the tall stuff in the back out without removing the stuff in front of it.  


Saturday was largely spent helping Anx move.  I did some cleaning and whatnot after I got home, but I was pretty spent at that point.  I did however have a bunch of stuff arrive.  I got a new toilet paper holder.  


My replacement bathrobe (my other one was in the Deacon's chair that was lost in the mold).  The sleeves are a bit long.


I also got a camping pillow.  It is one of the self inflating ones.  Several times now I have gone somewhere, taken my cot and/or air mattress, and realized that I forgot a pillow.  I now have one in that tote with everything else.  It isn't amazing, but it isn't bad and is a ton better than nothing.



I also picked up an electric flyswatter.  


I think the bugs have been coming in from the poor AC side insulation.  I apparently don't have foam board.  During the storms Friday night though, the cardboard got wet and things got really bad.  It was actually channeling water inside the house.


So Saturday, I went and fixed it.  Or rather, redid the cardboard.


My latest toy arrived Saturday afternoon too.  It is an e-bike.  Fedex finally delivered it after three lies about when it was going to show up.  They did a number on the box too, the carboard was all tore up.



This is how it looks coming out of the box.  I understand saving on shipping costs, but it looks like they tried to disassemble as much of the bike as they could to ship it.  They could have taken the assembly time from over an hour to five minutes if they made the box ever-so-slightly larger.  Fortunately I have done quite a bit of bike work over the years.


Once assembled, my only complaint is that it looks like the kickstand was used.  


The assembled bike.


I took it for a quick test ride.  I bought this one because it had a huge motor, which I would need for the very steep hills, since I was planning on using this to commute to try to keep miles off my truck, which rolled over 20k during the weekend.  I was a bit disappointed.  It has a 750W motor, whereas most are only 300W, but it still wasn't enough to even push me up the driveway.  I have doubts whether it will adequately push on the hills coming home from work.  Something is still rubbing though, so I will fix that first in case that is eating up a bunch of the power.


I also cleaned up the camping stove.  It has served me well thus far.


The last thing I did on Saturday before turning in was reattaching/gluing the end cap on my footrest.


Sunday I went out and picked up a dresser.  I was originally intending to build one and then try to match the finish for the table.  This one came pre-matched though:



Apparently on the drive home from Wilmot (up north where I picked it up from) the handle vibrated out.  I found all the pieces though, so I was able to reassemble it.  


I also noticed that the leaves are already starting to change up there.  This foliage season is predicted to be long lasting but not particularly vibrant in color from what I have read.  In Sullivan, the early changers have started to mis-color, but nothing is actually changed yet.


It is now in place.  It is a little bit larger than the one I got from Jess, which is nice. 


That one is now in the third bedroom.  I plan to put the futon next to it.  


Since that is kind of turning into a guest room, I also put spare sheets and towels and stuff a guest might need in the top drawer.  


After taking a nap, since I was still a bit sore from Saturday, I also went and started to disassemble the cabinets from the tiny home.  I had forgotten that I needed to remove the microwave to get them out.  The microwave is a major pain, but I still got everything down.  


Since I plan to paint them white, I also removed all the doors and hinges.


I also pulled out the medicine cabinet, which is going in the master bath, and the other set of shelves I had in the bathroom of the tiny home, which will go in the second bathroom once it too gets painted.  I think I might paint the stuff in the tiny home, so I left everything down there.  I will just put down a drop cloth.

I went and looked at fixing the carport this weekend, but I would have to lay in a puddle to do it so I decided against it.  

Current To-do:
  • Before winter:
    • Move carport
    • Fix carport
    • Final grade - get gravel and drainage pipe.
    • Buy a real bed and living room furniture.
    • Get a gun cabinet/safe.
    • Fix driveway.
    • Install drainage in the backyard.  Remove the backflush hose.
    • Get heat pump installed.
    • Get a snowblower for the tractor.
    • Build a platform for the steps.
    • Insulate the water lines
  • Winter projects: 
    • All the cabinet upgrades (bathroom, pantry, and kitchen)
    • Design deck
    • Build armoire
    • Build dresser
    • Shelving upgrades in master closet.
    • Access panel upgrades in master closet
  • 2024 Projects:
    • Deck
    • Entertainment center
    • Storm doors

No comments:

Post a Comment