Thursday, June 18, 2020

Quiet few days.

I apparently whacked my back or something last weekend even though I don't recall anything happening, so I have taken it easy the last few days.  I went and ordered more dirt and just regular gravel for the driveway.  Last year I used crushed stone because it was in the mud, but this is closer to what one would normally use for a driveway, or so I was told.  There is too much dirt for my liking though.  It is a lot cheaper than crushed stone though.  And I love the random can in the middle of the pile.


The dirt.  It has a lot more boulders than the delivery last year did too.  It might be time to start looking for another quarry.


The pile looks bigger than the last one I got too, even though they were both supposedly a full 10 wheeler.


Apparently I wasn't the only one checking out the the pile.  I had a visit from a porcupine.




I did do some more research on the internet front.  Satellite is a no-go.  It appears that they set up dishes to connect to a specific set of satellites, which would be constantly changing if I were travelling.  Most of the providers explicitly call out mobile applications as not being supported as well.  They do make satellite hotspots, but they are atrocious at best for data speeds.

So I went back to the cell phone idea.  In theory, 3G should be fast enough.  3G should give me a few megabit (depending on the technology it uses).  https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/download-speeds-2g-3g-and-4g-actual-meaning

Supposedly remote desktop uses less than a megabit though.  I might want to measure this though.  I know on my current tether which measures only marginally better than 3G it works though.  https://superuser.com/questions/43797/microsoft-remote-desktop-bandwidth-usage  

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! I would have liked to have seen the porcupine, just not when my girls were around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn't overly scared of me, but I didn't get too close. Didn't want to reenact the "he bit me with his butt" scene from Homeward Bound?

      Delete
    2. Okay so Chance needed some help in Homeward Bound! But the Porcupine is really cool looking!

      Delete