Monday, June 22, 2020

Another roaster. Time to buy an impact wrench.

Fixing the Nissan was a no-go, the light is still on.  I think at this point I might go visit Stefan and just forcibly clear the code since his reader will actually talk to the Nissan.

Happy father's day.  Sunday was another roaster.  I ran out of paint, but the clothesline is complete, just some touch up painting and I did partially string it today, though I apparently didn't get a picture of it. 


After that I went to the deck.  It is a really good thing I bought two spindles.

The one that was not obviously broken the shaft is stripped and it doesn't actually hold the blade.  It is really getting frustrating that these spindles are all cheap pieces of crap.  Most of the star is ground down and the blade doesn't sit on it anymore. 


Since that one only needs a new shaft, I was able to pull the shaft out of the other broken one.


Unfortunately though, there isn't a good way to get the pulley off.  Usually I just hold the blade and wrench on the big nut.  So I tried to put a screw in the hole in the pulley, and the nut apparently welded itself in and I broke the screw.


So I went and brought out the vice grips.  And now the pulley is destroyed, so I need to buy another pulley now.  The teeth stripped right off the inside of pulley.  I think it is time to buy an impact wrench which probably would have taken everything right apart.


Something else I discovered when I took the deck apart is that one of my blades is slightly bent.  I am sure this has nothing to do with the various branches I have run over or the rocks that I have trimmed...  I think I have a spare blade still kicking around somewhere.


After cooling off and convincing myself that the yard wasn't bad enough to warrant mowing with the pushmower in 90 degrees and high humidity, I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon on my tractor.  I started fixing the back yard.  Most of former ditch is done now.  I also built it up a little (the ditch used to be in a small dip).  It is amazing how the piles of dirt that were dug out of the trench diminished to nothing when I pulled all the crap out of them, I ended up bringing up 5 or 6 buckets of dirt for this.


This is all that is left of the ditch.  There is still a little bit left.  There is dirt behind the trench.  I tried to drag it in with the tractor, but the bucket didn't quite reach far enough unless I wanted to put the front wheels in the trench.  That wouldn't be a problem normally, the front bucket can lift the front of the tractor out of the ditch, but it would crush the pipe.  So I will be shoveling it back in manually.  Or possibly just bringing up dirt to fill in the trench so I can get to it, and then using that dirt for other leveling in the back yard, which sounds more appealing. 


I may have accidentally ran over my shovel.  Oops


I will order another pulley today, and hopefully it doesn't take 11 days to come in.  I might order a spare just in case, since the other one is pretty chewed up as well, and I am sure I will be replacing another spindle before too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment