Sunday, November 11, 2018

Getting close enough to live in.

Today was chillier than I expected, but I still made good progress.  I started off bringing another load up.  The apartment I am squatting in is looking empty.  I didn't quite get through all of them, but I did eliminate a whole suitcase of clothes, basically just by tossing that I hadn't worn in over two years or had holes in it.  I also moved my computer today.


I decided to build the steps today.  Next time I think I will cut my own stringers.  I didn't notice when I bought them that one was split (which is why there is an extra chunk of 2x6 on the bottom step) and one was cut slightly differently than the other 2, which led to the boards not lining up perfectly.

Here is the underside.


Upside


It isn't a quality one, but I also installed a handrail.  I don't really ever use one, but just in case the town looks for it, I installed one.  The cinder blocks were much steeper and didn't have one, and I have been using those for a year and a half.


I also came across this in my bucket of screws.  It looks like the quality control isn't too tight on the manufacturing process.


All in all, they are still a major upgrade over the cinder blocks.  Next up I got Tim to help me with moving some stuff around.  The stove and fridge are now in the house.


The critters really made a disaster of the stove.


It cleaned up fairly well, though I ran out of clorox wipes.


It is still really muddy up the hill.  My truck managed it though.  I really need to put gravel down up here.  Maybe next year though.


Even though I replaced a bunch of the stuff in the shed with other stuff, since I removed all the tools from the house, the shed still looks neater.


The front porch is done.  I have to move tomorrow, so I am glad I at least have the minimum needed to live there.  I also emailed the town; the office doesn't technically reopen until Tuesday, but I might get lucky and one of the selectmen decide to check the email, it has happened before.

I also merged the two lists, since I am technically going to move in tomorrow, whether I have the occupancy permit or not (which I won't).  I have to be out by the 13th, so I figured I will move out tomorrow and then finish up any cleaning on Tuesday.

To Do:
  1. Install bathroom fixtures.
  2. Get hot water heater installed.
  3. Install some form of cabinets in the kitchen.
  4. Install kitchen sink.
  5. Install kitchen appliances.
  6. Get propane installed.
  7. Build bed frame.
  8. Build closets.
  9. Install table.
  10. Smooth driveway enough to plow/clear
  11. Fix snowblower.  
  12. Winterize equipment (mower, undercoat the truck, etc).
  13. Clear slab
  14. Shed work
    1. Extend roof to prevent snow pushing on the side.
    2. Fix pilings

No comments:

Post a Comment