Sunday, April 8, 2018

Not as productive as I wanted, but still got work done.

It was pretty chilly up there today.  Last I had looked, the forecast was it was supposed to get warmer each day until the weekend.  Today was significantly colder than yesterday though, enough to make me consider turning on the kerosene heater.

The first thing I did today was finish up the insulation under the window. 


I also finished reassembling the storage cabinet I got from Greg.  It came apart in the last wind storm.  I used that to further the cleaning.  I also took a big bag of trash out of the place.


I then decided to change gears and work on the plumbing.  Matt is thinking of coming up and visiting, and insulation is an easy task that I can just let him loose on with no worries, though to be fair, Matt could probably do most of the work that I still have left to do.

I finished running the water lines for the kitchen sink.


I did hit one stumbling block, I was planning on holding the lines with the standard pex ties, but they won't fit because of the elbow fitting.


I also got the cold water line run for the washing machine.  I don't have the wall insert that holds the valves and the drain hose yet, I should do that at some point soon.


I an thinking I might want to switch around the order that I ran the cold lines.  It would greatly decrease the bend of the pex if I were to use the third in from the left for the washer instead of the first one.


I knew I had extra pex cinch clamps from the bag I brought down to work on my parents place, but I couldn't seem to find them.  On the plus side, the truck is cleaned out too now, and I noticed that I forgot to give Dad a few things.  The u-bolts for the wheeler attachment/push plate, and the clamps for the plow for the front of it.  I will bring them down next time.


I had a slightly crazy idea for the leaks in the underbelly seams: don't care.  I could put a 1/2" polyisocyanurate insulation panel (rigid foam board) down in strips so that water can drain through it, and put some slats in the current underbelly so it can actually drain instead of continually pooling.  Rigid foam board is unaffected by standing water.  and then put the cotton/wool batts (also water resilient) on top of it as the insulation for the plumbing blanket so it doesn't freeze.  and from there I would have to fix the parts that are legitimately broken (like where I slipped and fell onto it in the back corner), but I don't have to get a perfect seal on it, since it would just drain off if water does collect.  I like the sound of the idea, still working on its viability.



Since it hasn't been seen in months, I dug up the checklist.  The items in red are postponed at this point.  I might get some gravel during the week, go in early and stop at the quarry on my way in to work, shovel it out after work.  I am not intending to completely build the driveway, just get enough large gravel in it that it isn't like mud-bogging getting up it.
  1. Fix ruts in driveway.
  2. Put lights on the plow.
  3. Get the oil changed in the tractor.
  4. Get the tire chains installed and a weight installed on the back.
  5. Get the plastic installed
  6. Get the truck oil undercoated.
  7. Fix leaky underbelly.
  8. Get skirting installed.
  9. Find a way to run power that won't be damaged by snow/plow/snowblower.
  10. Find a way to prevent the snow pushing on the shed.
  11. Finish clearing off the slab.
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
    1. Venting and Drainage
    2. Water supply
    3. Gas lines
  13. Install insulation.
  14. *Install flooring.  *12
  15. Install light fixtures.
  16. Install ceiling and attic insulation. *19
  17. *Install paneling  *13, 14
  18. *Install interior wall *14
  19. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *17, 18
  20. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).  *18, 19
  21. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

2 comments:

  1. what is the numbers after your checklist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 12 after the 14. Install Flooring means that it depends on/requires item 12. The plumbing has to be done before I can install the floors, since I elected to put the underbelly on before completing the plumbing. Probably the wrong choice in retrospect, but I wanted it watertight before winter.

      Delete