Sunday, April 15, 2018

1 ton of gravel isn't much

I didn't feel good today (some sort of stomach bug), so I didn't do much today except screw up my sleep schedule (thus the 1AM post), but I realized that I haven't posted the last round of updates.  Thursday I went up and got a load of gravel.  It was a little over a ton.  It didn't cover nearly as much as I expected.  It did cover the worst part of the driveway though.  In a couple of of those spots, the gravel is almost 6" deep.  I ran over it with my truck to help pack it in.


I needed more.




It is still really really bad at the end of the driveway.




I also moved up the snowblower to the slab.  It fired right up, but the issue with the auger is still present, despite it being well into the 50s when I was up there.  I will add it to the list of improvements to do when the house is ready.


Another side effect of the warmth: most of the snow is gone.  By now, it probably is.  When I was up there on Friday though, I still couldn't make it up to the shed.


I considered trying anyways.  I am glad I didn't.  Walking up there caused me to sink 6".  I can only imagine what would have happened to the truck.


Even the big banks are mostly gone.  The one behind the house:



Where I raked off the roof:


I also walked around the property to find out what the damage was.  It wasn't too bad.  I apparently hit one of my markers with the plow on the tractor.  Fortunately it was right next to the hole it was marking.


I had a tree start to come apart.  I don't remember if it was like this before winter though, its location is one I wouldn't have cared about if it had broken.


I also went up and checked on the shed.  Something larger than a mouse appears to have been in there.  The poison trays were scattered.




The mouse trap was untouched.


I did go and reset all the traps and set out my new ones.


New type of mushroom.


This puts the driveway work in progress.  I will probably get another load next week to do the bottom part down by the road, and that will be it until they lift the weight limits on the roads.  Not sure why they haven't yet, the ground has been thawed for weeks.  There is no way I am going to haul and manually shovel the 25 or so tons needed for actually building it.

I am feeling better now, but the weather tomorrow is really really supposed to suck.  Freezing rain most of the night and potentially a quarter inch of ice.  It might mix with rain (since wet ice is nice) but if the roads are terrible, I might not make it up tomorrow if they don't clear, and several towns have already started taking the plows and salters off their trucks.  Hopefully Sullivan hasn't.  I am also going to go look at the snowblower tomorrow (one that would fit on Dad's tractor), so hopefully the roads aren't too awful. Getting it would rope me in to making the trip to KY twice a year in my truck, which my back doesn't like the thought of, but two trips isn't that bad, at least until I get my own new tractor and snowblower.
  1. Fix ruts in driveway.
  2. Put lights on the plow.
  3. Get the oil changed in the tractor.
  4. Get the tire chains installed and a weight installed on the back.
  5. Get the plastic installed
  6. Get the truck oil undercoated.
  7. Fix leaky underbelly.
  8. Get skirting installed.
  9. Find a way to run power that won't be damaged by snow/plow/snowblower.
  10. Find a way to prevent the snow pushing on the shed.
  11. Finish clearing off the slab.
  12. Run the rough plumbing. (includes gas line for stove)
    1. Venting and Drainage
    2. Water supply
    3. Gas lines
  13. Install insulation.
  14. *Install flooring.  *12
  15. Install light fixtures.
  16. Install ceiling and attic insulation. *19
  17. *Install paneling  *13, 14
  18. *Install interior wall *14
  19. *Complete electrical and plumbing.  *17, 18
  20. *Install final flooring (carpet/linoleum).  *18, 19
  21. Install interior fixtures.  When I get here, I will likely create a new list for the interior work.

No comments:

Post a Comment